XONE 23 vs. XONE 43 (and maybe DJMs?)

Default XONE 23 vs. XONE 43 (and maybe DJMs?)

Reposting from DJ Forums, since it's dead over there..

Looking to upgrading my mixer, and I'm leaning the A&H route. I mostly play house / disco and don't use effects beyond the filter (for the most part), never touch the cross fader, and mostly do longer blended mixes.

I play vinyl and off CDJs in my set up (but rarely use more than 2 channels, so 4 channel isn't really a must)

Besides 4 channels, is there major advantage of the 43 over the 23. Mostly in terms of build quality or sound?

Thinking I might give both a whirl since I can return them, and found a pretty good deal on an "excellent condition" XONE 43 on Guit Center.

Also have been scouring for DJMs on Craigslist. The DJM 700 seems somewhat intriguing, but not sure I want to plunk down $300-400 on it. Thoughts on that in the consideration set? Where does the DJM 800 sit in all this ~ what would you pay for a good condition used one?

Not looking to spend much more than $500-600 max, but can be flexible if something really sways me to go up in price.

If you value sound quality, stop looking at DJM's (especially at low/mid end mixers). Go A&H. What you choose depends on your preferences and usage. I'd go 43 and get some headroom, both in sound quality and future options for new things.

Tech Guru

I think the Xone 43 is built quite a bit better, but I'm not 100% sure. I've heard lots of problems surrounding the Xone 23, but I've only ever played around with the Xone 42.

I think the DJM700 is a little too dated, and if you want to go Pioneer, you should go with a DJM800 which you can get used anywhere from 500-800 depending on its condition. The thing I liked most about the Pioneer over the A&H was the channel filter as well as the FX channel. Even if you don't use too many effects, delay and echo can be used pretty easily and it isn't as overpowering like some Traktor FX. On the other hand, the Xone has adjustable frequency for the filter which is HUGEEEEEE. The Pioneer filter can be a bit harsh so you will certainly have to get used to it. In my opinion, the Pioneer filter isn't too good for mixing in/out, but it works for quicker cuts. That said, if you are using your EQs in combination with the filter to blend, you can accomplish a similar effect using a few more turns of the knobs.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Thanks man, that's super helpful.

I've heard a few acquaintances mention that the 23 has crapped out on them, so hoping the 43 is a better build quality.

I've got a 43 on the way, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zigeuner View Post
    Thanks man, that's super helpful.

I've heard a few acquaintances mention that the 23 has crapped out on them, so hoping the 43 is a better build quality.

I've got a 43 on the way, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
    Yea, I think you'll love it. Xone filters are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Take some time to learn how to use the resonance. And if you ever decide to go the DJM route, I'm selling mine for cheap :P Haha.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Yea, I think you'll love it. Xone filters are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Take some time to learn how to use the resonance. And if you ever decide to go the DJM route, I'm selling mine for cheap :P Haha.
    Got it last night and set it up. Sound quality was instantly noticeable (I am coming form a Behringer DDM 4000, mind you). Loving it so far. Filter is great, but still getting the hang of it. Pretty much as advertised. No fuss, good sounding 4 channel mixer. Feels very well built.

Only gripes are things I knew before hand. X Fader really is shit (I don't ever use it, so I don't care). Lack of dedicated channel filters knobs is a bit of a bummer, but I also knew that going in.

Just curious, roughly what are you asking for the DJM? Not going to switch it up now, but curious. I'm def not a Pio hater by any means either. Played on the DJM numerous times and its a sick mixer in it's own right.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zigeuner View Post
    Got it last night and set it up. Sound quality was instantly noticeable (I am coming form a Behringer DDM 4000, mind you). Loving it so far. Filter is great, but still getting the hang of it. Pretty much as advertised. No fuss, good sounding 4 channel mixer. Feels very well built.

Only gripes are things I knew before hand. X Fader really is shit (I don't ever use it, so I don't care). Lack of dedicated channel filters knobs is a bit of a bummer, but I also knew that going in.

Just curious, roughly what are you asking for the DJM? Not going to switch it up now, but curious. I'm def not a Pio hater by any means either. Played on the DJM numerous times and its a sick mixer in it's own right.
    I think I have it listed as 550 shipped right now or something. It's over in the Buy & For Sale.

That is really great to hear though! Behringer DDM4000 to an A&H is a hugeeee step up in quality. You have the exact same gripes about the A&H as me though haha. When I was still using CDJs, I wanted to upgrade to an A&H, but I really disliked the lack of channel filters which I loved on the Pioneers. I think now that I'm more experienced though, it doesn't make all too big of a difference. You just have to remember to select the channel. I know I had a tendency to get ready to drop some FX on a track and I turn it on then realize I didn't have the right channel selected.

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I think I have it listed as 550 shipped right now or something. It's over in the Buy & For Sale.

That is really great to hear though! Behringer DDM4000 to an A&H is a hugeeee step up in quality. You have the exact same gripes about the A&H as me though haha. When I was still using CDJs, I wanted to upgrade to an A&H, but I really disliked the lack of channel filters which I loved on the Pioneers. I think now that I'm more experienced though, it doesn't make all too big of a difference. You just have to remember to select the channel. I know I had a tendency to get ready to drop some FX on a track and I turn it on then realize I didn't have the right channel selected.
    Yeah LOL, or you have the filter on a channel and you bring it in and don't realize it. Only gripe is not being able to independently filter each individual track. It's something I pretty much never do anyhow, but could be useful in an edge case.

Other than that, it's pretty much any of the design flaws you would see in the reviews online (Ie, meh cross fader, no kill switch on FX send)