The future of vinyl.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As most us, I started out on vinyl and am still using and buying it. But offcourse I use cdj's most of the time on gigs. On most of the parties the setup is also not so ideal anymore to be playing vinyl only. (the speakersetup,the tables,...).
    But still playing turntables is the only thing that really gets me locked in the groove. That undescribable feeling you get when mixing vinyl is uncomparable to me. Serato also does a great job by the way...

These days you see dj's wanting to play turntables just because they think they are more credible as a dj an that is a sad fact IMO. I don't think playing vinyl makes you a better dj, for some people like myself it is just a more natural way of doing what we do and whatever gets you in to the groove is good enough for me.

just my 2 cents

vinyl sales have seen an upsurge since about 2007 but that upsurge has tapered off; I think this year's sales figures were down a bit so it may have reached saturation. But there are a lot of companies getting into new turntables and the like so the fad value may last longer than we think -- e.g. https://trntbl.co/ -- this stuff isn't marketed to DJs but DJs are a tiny slice of the market. So vinyl probably isn't going anywhere whether or not DJs make the switch (back).

Personally I love vinyl both for listening and for DJing. But there aren't that many gigs that call for it these days, though I'd be overjoyed to play one (I don't gig much at all these days anyway though, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt). I love playing with digital too though; you can do so much with Traktor that's impossible with vinyl, but again if I were gigging I wouldn't bother with any of that stuff.

I've already spent a couple thousand on vinyl records this year, so for me vinyl definitely isn't going anywhere
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    vinyl sales have seen an upsurge since about 2007 but that upsurge has tapered off; I think this year's sales figures were down a bit so it may have reached saturation. But there are a lot of companies getting into new turntables and the like so the fad value may last longer than we think -- e.g. https://trntbl.co/ -- this stuff isn't marketed to DJs but DJs are a tiny slice of the market. So vinyl probably isn't going anywhere whether or not DJs make the switch (back).

Personally I love vinyl both for listening and for DJing. But there aren't that many gigs that call for it these days, though I'd be overjoyed to play one (I don't gig much at all these days anyway though, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt). I love playing with digital too though; you can do so much with Traktor that's impossible with vinyl, but again if I were gigging I wouldn't bother with any of that stuff.

I've already spent a couple thousand on vinyl records this year, so for me vinyl definitely isn't going anywhere
    Is the selection still there though? Or is it that your chosen genre still has a lot of vinyl in circulation or creating new pressings? (I'm intrigued)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

In Drum N Bass we have plenty of vinyl releases still. Vinyl has become a super niche market, though. While there is a surge in non edm record sales, edm record sales are still on a steady decline. This is mostly due to the closing of most pressing plants worldwide leading to the increased cost. We used to be able to do a short run of 100 12" two sided with full color sleeve, full color label,white insert, shrink, and bar code for $750. Now you get a short run of the same without the outer sleeve and a black on white label for $900. The price per unit does drop significantly as you increase the quantity for a full run, but it's to exemplify an increase in setup cost.

(Pricing reflected from latest quote by Rainbo Records in California)
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    Is the selection still there though? Or is it that your chosen genre still has a lot of vinyl in circulation or creating new pressings? (I'm intrigued)
    Vinyl is still coming out in a number of genres; some genres (dnb, acid, etc) even still have some vinyl-only labels and releases. Plenty of selection available depending on the genres you like (especially if you like older music), though there are plenty of things you can't find on vinyl, so it's nice to be able to combine vinyl and digital sources.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post

Selection is as good as it has been for years! Pressing plants are booked solid with waits, every classic album ever made seems to be re-pressed on vinyl now. In house anyway, there are still plenty of vinyl only releases, but as I said...plenty and plenty of options on vinyl these days.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Selection is as good as it has been for years! Pressing plants are booked solid with waits, every classic album ever made seems to be re-pressed on vinyl now. In house anyway, there are still plenty of vinyl only releases, but as I said...plenty and plenty of options on vinyl these days.
    Interesting indeed, thanks for your opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    it's nice to be able to combine vinyl and digital sources.
    Totally agree. I'm going round my mate's house later to do just this..
    Or at least that's the plan, that'll probably end up playing some vinyl getting beer and trying to scratch (badly)

Last edited by DJAdeSands; 10-10-2016 at 09:56 AM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Default Offbeat mixing

nice thread .. with all due respect for Vinyl and its enthusiasts I gotta say some of them could have been better without it. Someone as acclaimed as Hito who also happens to play with Richie at his ENTER nights, I never thought one would compromise basic beat batching for the love of vinyl. I support vinyls mainly because of the richness in sound but still i feel people deserve better at least in terms of mixing.

I see a lot of offbeat mixing in above videos and would really like your opinion !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12