Recording Digitally via Allen & Heath DB4 - What pcie soundcard do I need?

Default Recording Digitally via Allen & Heath DB4 - What pcie soundcard do I need?

Hi everyone,

This is my first thread post, so your help is really appreciated.

I`m looking for a pcie soundcard for my pc. I understand what chip size to get and also know how to install the card.

Right now I have an analogue set up, so my analogue out is going into my analogue in of my mixer.

I want to record via a digital signal out of my mixer into digital in my new pcie soundcard. I just need your advise on a good solid digital 2016 soundcard.

On the back panel of my DB4 there is a digital rca out, so all I need to know is what soundcard I can buy that facilitates a digital in. I also need a digital out on the pcie soundcard for digital playback.

I thought it was as simple as digital out to digital in and vice versa. However, looking at the range of soundcards out there I`m unsure and unclear, and don`t want to just get any s-card to then find out I have got the wrong card.

Ultimately I need to be able to record digitally and playback digitally.

Please help.

Thanks everyone......

Rob

Tech Convert

Hey Rob,

Perhaps I've misinterpreted your question but your A&H DB4 has a sound card built in. You simply need to connect your computer to the mixer with a USB cable.

You can use the on-mixer menus to route the main mix to a particular sound card output. It should be relatively straight forward.

Does that help at all?

Tom

in the menu set your usb routing to record and connect the db4 with usb, then the db4 send all incoming signals including the analogue to the pc, you don't need a souncard for that, just a daw or soundrecording program like Audacity and select the right input
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by tomduck View Post
    Hey Rob,

Perhaps I've misinterpreted your question but your A&H DB4 has a sound card built in. You simply need to connect your computer to the mixer with a USB cable.

You can use the on-mixer menus to route the main mix to a particular sound card output. It should be relatively straight forward.

Does that help at all?

Tom
    Hey Tom,

Thanks for your advise, it`s much appreciated.

I have done what you said and connected the db4 usb to my pc. Only problem is when I`m recording in Cubase it is only picking up channel 1 on my db4, and is not picking up the signal from channels 2 and 3. I have tried changing the usb routing on my db4 menu settings, however this makes no difference. Another thing when I even turn down channel 1 all the way down to the bottom to the point that you can not here any sound, cuabse is still recording the track as if I still have the channel fader up to the top.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by ragverp View Post
    in the menu set your usb routing to record and connect the db4 with usb, then the db4 send all incoming signals including the analogue to the pc, you don't need a souncard for that, just a daw or soundrecording program like Audacity and select the right input
    Hey Ragverp,

Thanks for your advise, it`s much appreciated.

I have done what you said and connected the db4 usb to my pc. Only problem is when I`m recording in Cubase it is only picking up channel 1 on my db4, and is not picking up the signal from channels 2 and 3. I have tried changing the usb routing on my db4 menu settings, however this makes no difference. Another thing when I even turn down channel 1 all the way down to the bottom to the point that you can not here any sound, cuabse is still recording the track as if I still have the channel fader up to the top.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Treacle85 View Post
    I have tried changing the usb routing on my db4 menu settings, however this makes no difference.
    Have you looked at this video, part from 5:21. Option must be set to "Record"

Quote Originally Posted by Treacle85 View Post
    Another thing when I even turn down channel 1 all the way down to the bottom to the point that you can not here any sound, cuabse is still recording the track as if I still have the channel fader up to the top.
    Same as before, you probably selected CH1 pre-fader as the audio to be sent via usb.

If you still have no luck, try changing the options in Cubase (what usb ch is being recorded) or using a different software
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Would you mind telling us what the input settings in VST Connections in Cubase looks like?
    Last edited by overcast; 08-24-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Have you looked at this video, part from 5:21. Option must be set to "Record"

Same as before, you probably selected CH1 pre-fader as the audio to be sent via usb.

If you still have no luck, try changing the options in Cubase (what usb ch is being recorded) or using a different software
    Hi Dude,

Thanks for your great advice, I can confirm that it has worked and all is working perfectly.

Thanks again, really is appreciated.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    Would you mind telling us what the input settings in VST Connections in Cubase looks like?
    Hi Overcast,

I have resolved the issue I was facing. However, thanks for your interest in helping me.

Rob