Setting current encoder values via MIDI

Default Setting current encoder values via MIDI

I just picked up a Twister, and I have a feeling this is a terribly newb question, but I can't find it in the documentation (or else I'm blind).

Is it possible to set the current encoder value or note/CC toggle state for a specific encoder on any bank? I'm trying to establish bidirectional sync (so if I set the encoder to some value on the software side, it will send that back to the Twister to keep things in sync), but I can't quite figure out what to send to the Twister.

Thanks in advance for any cluebatting.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Hey Tack,

Your Twister listens to the same message sent by each particular encoder. For example: top left encoder on bank 1 sends CC0 on Ch1 as you turn it and CC0 on Ch2 when pressed. You can find exactly what each command sends/listens by either looking in the ENCODER tab in the MF Utility or the last few pages of Twister's User Guide.

It's worth noting that if you changed the values from the default values they will now listen to feedback to the new value you set. (say if you switched to top left encoder on bank 1 to send CC65 on Ch1 instead).

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    It's worth noting that if you changed the values from the default values they will now listen to feedback to the new value you set. (say if you switched to top left encoder on bank 1 to send CC65 on Ch1 instead).
    Ahh, brilliant, this is what I was doing wrong. I tried the settings from the appendix in the docs, but I'm terribly embarrassed to say that it didn't even occur to me to try my custom values.

I do have an additional problem though, maybe you can help:

Setting the encoder value via MIDI works great, but setting a switch configured as note toggle doesn't quite work as I expect. When the Twister receives the appropriate note-on it lights up accordingly. But pressing the button on the unit subsequently doesn't turn the indicator light off, even though it does actually send a note-off event. The light stays on until receiving a note-off event via MIDI, even though pressing the button does properly send out alternating note-on/note-off events.

This seems like a bug to me, but it wouldn't shock me to learn I'm doing something else wrong

Many thanks!

Tech Convert

Hey, the issue you're talking about with the switch on the light in toggle mode...

I have the same exact issue and I've been talking to tech support about it. I'll get back to you when I figure out what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tausendberg View Post
    I have the same exact issue and I've been talking to tech support about it. I'll get back to you when I figure out what is going on.
    That's much appreciated, thanks!

I am also having a problem where setting the encoder values will randomly stop working. I'm using Bome MIDI Translator to send the values, and I can see in the log the MIDI values being sent out. The encoders work otherwise, they just can't be set via MIDI anymore until I unplug and reconnect the Twister.

No USB hubs in the way; the Twister is connected directly. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!