Getting back into digital DJ'ing

Default Getting back into digital DJ'ing

Hello Everyone,

I just want to preface this with I've googled and done a bunch of research, but nothing conclusive. I tried searching these forums but can't find a thread for my purposes. Basically I'm getting back into digital DJ'ing. I had a Traktor Kontrol S4 a few years ago that I had to get rid of (long story). At any rate, now I'm buying a setup that I'm keeping forever. At first I wanted the Kontrol S2 MK2, but after seeing the Pioneer DDJ-SR, I'm leaning more that way. The determining factor seems to be Traktor Pro 2 or Serato DJ; the one I want to use will determine the controller.

I'm hearing that Traktor is more geared towards electronic dance stuff and Serato is aimed at hip-hop/everything else. However, Serato DJ seems to have moved itself more inline with Traktor Pro 2 as far as its features.

I primarily spin Drum and Bass, I'm not married to one solution or the other, but I definitely like the build quality of the DDJ-SR. Quality build of the controller is my biggest factor here and Pioneer has always been rock solid. I'm not big on samples, and I don't remix the way you should on a controller. Its more of no room for 2 turntables and a mixer so controller is the best fit. I do like to use FX, Traktor had some nice ones before, and curious how Serato DJ competes.

My main 2 questions are (and I know they're loaded):

What are the big differences between Traktor Pro 2 and Serato DJ?
    Since I've settled on the controller, what am I missing out on going Serato DJ instead of Traktor Pro 2?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this has been asked 1000 times before and I just added to the clutter.

Can't you download the demo versions and give them a try?

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/...J-14-Day-Trial

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...and-downloads/

If you've played before you know what you are looking for in feel and workflow.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Get out of your head that Traktor is for dance stuff and Serato for Hip Hop/Everything else. For example, Grandmaster Flash uses Traktor, Dave Clarke uses Serato.. and both to superb effect.
    It's down to how you DJ and what each program offers that fits your ability, needs or your ideas. They both primarily do the same thing, their aesthetics are different.

Yea, as mentioned, get Demos of each program, see what you prefer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Since I've settled on the controller, what am I missing out on going Serato DJ
    The only thing I really ever felt "lacking" in Serato was being able to Transpose - otherwise its fantasctically fluid and stable. Sure you don't get as many features out of the box (there is expansion packs anyhow) but nothing holding you back from playing a kickass set on either Platform.

Personally I felt the SR felt far more like playing on a "real" DJ mixer than the S2/S4

At any rate, now I'm buying a setup that I'm keeping forever.
    You mean something thats going to last a few years in the digital world you are only as good as the next OSX or Windows update.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Check the DDJ-RR, It's an upgrade to the SR and Rekordbox is a nice middle point between Serato and Traktor. Unless you are really heavy on Remix/Stem decks or MIDI sync with external hardware/software it kinda feels like the best of both worlds.

Last edited by padi_04; 08-15-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Tech Mentor

+1 for the DDJ-RR

I'm a few weeks in to ownership now, after being a Traktor user for years, & i'm very impressed.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Keep 'em coming as EVERYTHING you're telling me is very informative...

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    Get out of your head that Traktor is for dance stuff and Serato for Hip Hop/Everything else. For example, Grandmaster Flash uses Traktor, Dave Clarke uses Serato.. and both to superb effect.
    It's down to how you DJ and what each program offers that fits your ability, needs or your ideas. They both primarily do the same thing, their aesthetics are different.
    @DJAdeSands - Yeah I got that out of my head pretty quick. I've got my heart semi-set on Serato, but I'm 100% going with a Pioneer controller. I know I can map Traktor to a Pioneer, but I've read the job wheels aren't as responsive in Traktor? Either way that doesn't matter as I won't be going down that road...

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    The only thing I really ever felt "lacking" in Serato was being able to Transpose - otherwise its fantasctically fluid and stable. Sure you don't get as many features out of the box (there is expansion packs anyhow) but nothing holding you back from playing a kickass set on either Platform.

Personally I felt the SR felt far more like playing on a "real" DJ mixer than the S2/S4

You mean something thats going to last a few years in the digital world you are only as good as the next OSX or Windows update.
    @Deevey - It looks that way now; both software platforms have essentially caught up to each other for all intents and purposes. Just Serato has, in my opinion, the better hardware platform. I had an S4 MK1 years ago and got rid of it. While I liked the controller overall, I didn't like how it felt kinda cheap in the build dept.

And I was trying to be optimistic lol. I know nowadays, I'm lucky to keep a piece of electronic gear for 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Check the DDJ-RR, It's an upgrade to the SR and Rekordbox is a nice middle point between Serato and Traktor. Unless you are really heavy on Remix/Stem decks or MIDI sync with external hardware/software it kinda feels like the best of both worlds.
    You had to bring up Stems haha! I'm not hell bent on stems. They sound bad ass, but not yet for me. I'm going to be sticking to my ripped vinyls, and my mp3 collection of old school jungle/dnb from the 90's into the 2000's (and anything I produce). While controllers do enable you to mix in ways you never thought possible, I don't use them to their fullest potential. I like having the features there for when I want to learn how to incorporate them, but I'm still going to be mixing like I have a pair of turntables and a mixer in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisian View Post
    +1 for the DDJ-RR

I'm a few weeks in to ownership now, after being a Traktor user for years, & i'm very impressed.
    Thanks for this. I was leery on the DDJ-RR but I'm seriously looking at it now thanks to you and @Padi_04

Again, thanks for the responses. I think I have all the info I need to make an informed decision, but if you guys have anymore information to impart, I'll gladly take it.

I currently use the S4mkII and it does everything I need. I have used Traktor for about 5 years now, playing every genre.

I also use Rekordbox when I use the Pioneer Nexus/NXS2 setup with a USB stick.

If I hadn't bought an S4 last year and bought third party I would probably be wanting to use Rekordbox all the time now.

I haven't used Rekordbox DJ yet but I imagine I will end up migrating to RBDJ when my 3 year warranty on my S4 is up.
    I just want to play music and entertain people. The hardest part is getting people to listen.
    Got any Rihanna?

Mixcloud: House-Techno-Tech House-Rocktronica-Tropical-Pop