Traktor Pro 2 : Mapping Changed Suddenly?
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor Pro 2 : Mapping Changed Suddenly?

Hello guys,

I hope this is an acceptable place as we don't have Traktor software subforum.

I just experience a weird 'bug' here on Traktor. I have Vestax VCI-400 and this issue happened on one of the encoder. So this one encoder is mapped for loop function; rotating it will change the loop size and clicking it will either set or remove the loop. Basic stuff.

I'm trying on VCI-400 Impulze mapping (https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/2540) for the last few days. Today, that encoder setting is suddenly changed for few times, like I have to keep holding down the encoder to set loop and releasing it will remove the loop. Then, it's getting weirder where if I rotate the encoder, it automatically set the loop with length of the bar it was set in (ex: if its originally set to 2 bar and I rotate it to 4, it automatically set a 4 bar loop. Same behavior with any length). I remember weeks ago there is a mapping bug like this too with one of my VCI button.

Problem seems to be solved after opening & closing the preferences, reload mapping, restart Traktor or reboot PC; not a huge deal, but it is still quite an annoyance and possibly ruin a mix.

Not sure what caused it, mapping seems solid and without conflicts. Could it be just a simple bug? I'm using version Traktor Scratch Pro 2 ver. 2.10.2 9. If anyone can help me with this or confirm that this bug exist, I appreciate it.

Thanks.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Did you contact the author and tell them about that issue?

I'd check the Loop Set and Loop Size commands and see if there are some modifiers involved. Perhaps there are different states of control in your encoders that you are not jet aware of.

Tech Wizard

I haven't, though, as far as I can tell, the commands for that function is just as the same as the JS mapping, which is what the Impulze mapping based on and I have used that map since 2 months ago without problem.

Interestingly, just now after my 2 hours session, these problem somehow doesn't occur at all. Weird, I'm glad it doesn't happen but it still worries me.

I'll do a re check the commands again, might take a while as I'm still a noob at the modifiers thing, heh.

Thanks for pointing that out, man.

Hey, I've just downloaded that mapping and had a quick look in it. It appears that there are indeed a modifiers involved so it might be a bug in the mapping.

Loop size selector (input command): Modifier #5 and Modifier #1
    Loop size selector (output command): Modifier #2 and Modifier #3

Loop size + Set (input command): Modifier #2

I found one suspicious thing - if you can remember, when this happens does the controller instantly sets 8 beat loop?

Tech Wizard

Ah, I didn't see you reply again. Sorry.

The instant 8 beat loop is actually a feature for the left encoder click. The problem I mentioned happened only when rotating the right encoder (can't check which channel/cc it is right now). I remember that this only happens when I have to reconnect the device because the usb is loose; while Traktor is still on.

I replaced the USB cable after that and until now, the problem doesn't appear again. Maybe that's the culprit? Tho I still find it hard to believe that a cable can causes a mapping issue, that cable even delivers a stable latency even though the usb is loose.

Default the same !

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Hey, I've just downloaded that mapping and had a quick look in it. It appears that there are indeed a modifiers involved so it might be a bug in the mapping.

Loop size selector (input command): Modifier #5 and Modifier #1
    Loop size selector (output command): Modifier #2 and Modifier #3

Loop size + Set (input command): Modifier #2

I found one suspicious thing - if you can remember, when this happens does the controller instantly sets 8 beat loop?
    Hi, i've got same bug on vestax VCI-100 MK2 but not on same knob... i think it's since traktor pro 2 update. i contact native via assistance, could you please do the same, i think they stop update tsi for vestax since they close.

Tech Wizard

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by nlaustriat View Post
    Hi, i've got same bug on vestax VCI-100 MK2 but not on same knob... i think it's since traktor pro 2 update. i contact native via assistance, could you please do the same, i think they stop update tsi for vestax since they close.
    Unfortunately, Traktor won't update any default mapping unless it is a (still produced) Native Instruments controller, so begging them for tsi update is useless.

However, you can try other user made mapping or take a look on the mapping yourself. After months of mapping, I figure out that when bug like this happened, it's either 1.) mistake in the .tsi mapping, 2.) Traktor bad coding, or 3.) hardware failure.

Number 1 is the most common cause especially if the mapping is too complex thus confusing the creator, or that the mapping is not compatible with the newer Traktor update. Ask the mapping creator to update the map.
    Number 2 is rare, there are few mapping instances that doesn't work properly in the first place. Ask Traktor devs about the problem, though they won't give a shit.
    Number 3 is very very rare, but a broken part somewhere in the controller's PCB could alter the way how it works. Take it to the repair.

Default ok but....

Quote Originally Posted by Envinite View Post
    Unfortunately, Traktor won't update any default mapping unless it is a (still produced) Native Instruments controller, so begging them for tsi update is useless.

However, you can try other user made mapping or take a look on the mapping yourself. After months of mapping, I figure out that when bug like this happened, it's either 1.) mistake in the .tsi mapping, 2.) Traktor bad coding, or 3.) hardware failure.

Number 1 is the most common cause especially if the mapping is too complex thus confusing the creator, or that the mapping is not compatible with the newer Traktor update. Ask the mapping creator to update the map.
    Number 2 is rare, there are few mapping instances that doesn't work properly in the first place. Ask Traktor devs about the problem, though they won't give a shit.
    Number 3 is very very rare, but a broken part somewhere in the controller's PCB could alter the way how it works. Take it to the repair.
    => number 1 : yes but i've got the same problem with the vestax TSI AND the native TSI included in tracktor pro 2. so for me it's not this.
    => number 2 : Yes the contact me today to analyse the global tsi and the controller one.
    => i hope not, this little controller is the best one for the size.....;-)

a last question do you know any tools with good vision to analyse TSI file? the table in traktor parameter is horrible.....

thanks for your feedback

I'd try to create a map for that encoder only just to be sure if the problem is in tsi or not.

1. Add new generic mapping device and port it to VCI.
    2. Add In > Deck Common > Loop > Loop Set (map to encoder pushbutton)
    3. Add In > Deck Common > Loop > Loop Size adjust (map to encoder turn)

Default it works

hi everybody, gere the solution find by the native support after i've sent my tsi files (all included settings)

all works perfect now !

-------------------------------

Lets try something else please:

• close Traktor

• open your "Finder"

• Documents -> Native Instruments -> Traktor 2.11.0

• rename the file "Traktor Settings.tsi" to "1_Traktor Settings.tsi"

• start Traktor

-> you will now see the Setup Wizard

• go through the wizard and make sure to select the following controller:

​​

• finish the Wizard

Now please try you VCI-100 MK2 again and see if the issues is now resolved or if the issue persists.

If the problem should still occur, it seems like the Vestax VCI 100 MK2 has a hardware problem and i would then recommend to test the controller with a different computer, which is often the fastest way to diagnose a possible hardware issue.

looking forward to your feedback !