Using digital vinyl + Traktor Scratch with Kontrol S5 and Komplete Audio 6

Question Using digital vinyl + Traktor Scratch with Kontrol S5 and Komplete Audio 6

Hey All,

I'm wondering if I can use Traktor Scratch and digital vinyl with my Kontrol S5 via Audio 6. I've reviewed other threads that indicate it's not reliable to use S5 and A6 as an aggregate device--but (forgive my ignorance) I'm not sure if that's what I would need to do in this scenario. I already own the S5 and Audio 6, and my goal is to get more tactile control with the S5 as the touch strips don't really do it for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Beauregard

Correct, you don't need to set up a aggregate device (as a matter of fact, you cannot use DVS in Traktor with aggregated interfaces because Traktor then doesn't recognize them as traktor certified devices).

You simply need to select under "Preferences-Audio" the Audio 6 as your sound interface. Under "Input routing" you would select 1/2 for deck A, 2/3 for deck B and under "Output routing" you select headphone output on the A6 for cue and one of the RCA outputs as master output.
    I don't even think you need any special mappings for the S5.

The downside of this setup is you loose the possibility to use XLR/booth outputs on the S5. I'm not sure it is possible to route master RCA output from A6 in this case into the AUX input on the S5 and then through it's XLR...
    EDIT: forget about this, KOMPLETE Audio 6 is not a Traktor certified interface so you cannot use it for DVS in Traktor. You need Traktor Scratch 6
    https://www.native-instruments.com/f...h-6-10.259003/
    Last edited by SlayForMoney; 08-17-2016 at 01:54 AM.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Lightbulb Well damn...

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    EDIT: forget about this, KOMPLETE Audio 6 is not a Traktor certified interface so you cannot use it for DVS in Traktor. You need Traktor Scratch 6
    https://www.native-instruments.com/f...h-6-10.259003/
    Thanks very much for the info. Bummer on the EDIT--unfortunately I missed the distinction between KOMPLETE Audio 6 and TRAKTOR Audio 6. The KA6 looks almost identical to the TA6, so I probably wouldn't have figured out the issue until first setup. It's good to hear that I can at least theoretically use TS6 with my S5--I'm only using main RCA out and headphones for cueing, so I don't believe the loss of XLR/booth out is an issue. Let me know if I'm missing something there.

This might be a question for another thread, but using the analog to digital ins on the Komplete Audio 6, can I use my S5 at all as a standard mixer for vinyl?

Again, really appreciate the feedback.

- Beauregard

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Like Slayformoney said, forget about aggregating the interfaces, doing so disables timecode functionality (since it no longer detects you have a scratch ready interface). Simply set the Scratch Audio 6 as your default interface in Traktor with the master outs assigned to a set of stereo outputs and monitoring on another pair so you can plug your headphones straight to it and of course the turntables. Doing this allows you to use both regular and timecode vinyl along your S5.

The Scratch Audio 6 also includes a full Traktor Scratch Pro 2 license along with the appropriate timecode media so yes, it costs more than the Komplete one BUT you are already getting what normally costs $99 as a separate upgrade for compatible devices (like getting the scratch upgrade for a license unlock) so in the end it's not really more expensive.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Simply set the Scratch Audio 6 as your default interface in Traktor with the master outs assigned to a set of stereo outputs and monitoring on another pair so you can plug your headphones straight to it and of course the turntables. Doing this allows you to use both regular and timecode vinyl along your S5.
    Thanks for the advice. Would be great to route turntables through my S5 as I'm currently running it through the house mixer and stacking the S5 on top, which is awkward. I'm assuming levels and fader on the S5 would operate for the turntables in this scenario.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Simply set the Scratch Audio 6 as your default interface in Traktor with the master outs assigned to a set of stereo outputs and monitoring on another pair so you can plug your headphones straight to it and of course the turntables. Doing this allows you to use both regular and timecode vinyl along your S5.
    Thanks very much for the info. I currently do lots of mid-set switching back and forth b/t vinyl and Traktor, and have my S5 awkwardly stacked on top of a house mixer--so it would be great to run the turntables through the TA6+S5 instead if possible. I'm not sure how this works, but I'm assuming in this scenario, the S5's basic controls (levels and fader) would work on the turntables--but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again!

- Beauregard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Beauregard View Post
    ... it would be great to run the turntables through the TA6+S5 instead if possible. I'm not sure how this works, but I'm assuming in this scenario, the S5's basic controls (levels and fader) would work on the turntables--but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Correct, in the sense that S5's gain, eq knobs and channel fader would control the corresponding software deck that would be set to "live input" when you want to play vinyl. The only "problem" would be the fact that S5 doesn't have buttons as dedicated deck switches sou you would either need to use your mouse or map it to a keyboard (or some other button on the S5).
    I'm not sure how's the sound quality in that case, you might wanna check that out before.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Audio-wise it would be no different than using the A6 on it's own and using Traktor's Live Input won't degrade the quality unless you are clipping, just make sure you switch the inputs on the A6 to phono instead of line.

The S5 can't be remapped in the regular layer so you'll have to put it in MIDI mode but that might be more of a headache than anything else, just map the deck flavor selector to your keyboard or a side controller if you use one and you should be good to go!

Default scratching on traktor s5

with the update to traktor pro 3 , I hope this helps :