Traktor Pro 1.2.1 audio crackles and pops
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor Pro 1.2.1 audio crackles and pops

i know that this is probably a long-time issue with Traktor and is a constant discussion with heads at the nI Forums, but i'm just curious to know if anyone here's managed to solve that problem? or rather, in process of? :)

tried various ways to troubleshoot but i'm somehow still unsatisfied with what i get. and this happens when i run 4Ds with effects switched on on 2Ds/more.

best part is that this crackle thing doesn't happen on Ableton and Reason and iTunes and whatever medium which plays audio/video. and it can't possibly be that i'm running 3 bus-powered controllers at the same time?

tried/tested:
    - i switched off Keylocks
    - i even switched off Airport
    - i closed all other programs too
    - it's not the tracks that i have (most are 320kbps)
    - it's definitely not firewire cable/adapter jack problems
    - it's definitely not ext soundcard hardware issues
    - latency has been set to the minimum (some people think that setting it higher will probably solve the issue?)

i'll be glad to have good insights from you ladies and gentlemen :)

here's my rig for references if any:
    Macbook | 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM | 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | OSX 10.5.8 | Presonus Firebox | Traktor Pro 1.2.1 | M-Audio X-Session Pro | Novation Remote SL Zero | Korg MicroKontrol |

peace.
    Last edited by spaced_; 11-30-2009 at 03:46 AM.
    spaced___

Tech Guru

Crackles and pops are nearly always related to a latency issue, so I would revisit that. Also check those cables again (I know you said you did, but you can never be too sure). I run a system with specs much like yours, and never have problems unless latency isn't dialed in. Various things can affect this though. I'd start by making sure you are using the very latest firmware and drivers for your interface. Turn any networking or wireless processes off. Try if possible to run your devices on a powered usb hub, if you have more devices than ports. It's very unlikely that midi would be affecting crackle and pop behavior though. Try setting your latency at various places between 2.5 and 13ms, with your sampling rate at 44.1k, for basic troubleshooting. If you find a good spot, you can mess with increasing or decreasing the values accordingly. Sometimes you may need to exit the program and unpower/repower the interface to get the new settings to "stick". I have had that very problem before, crackles even though I changed my settings, but a simple on/off of the app and interface clears it up.

You may want some extra RAM, but your 2GB should be fine. FYI, I run my system at 24bit, 44.1k, 2.5ms, 2 controllers, TPro + Ableton + Translators, mp3, WAV, whatever, without any glitches ever.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

thanks for the insight man. i've tried restarting devices and softwares on and off quite awhile back though it didn't seem to work. latency-wise, i actually run at the lowest but i'd probably tweak more here and there. sampling rate's definitely a 44.1.

i've even tried to cut down on dual-software usage (traktor & ableton) but to no avail.

i might go get a new firewire cable, though these crackles haven't affected any other software (and ableton uses heaps of cpu).

for now i actually run traktor with the efx switches off and switching on between the decks. quite a hassle till i find out the problem area (or just use ableton completely heh)before any incoming show. soon hopefully.

cheers
    spaced___

Tech Guru

Shit brother, I forgot to mention that if none of these things solves your issue, that I'm super-bummed for you, 'cause I wouldn't know what else to troubleshoot in the mac world. Maybe also try disabling the dashboard? There's an app for that at apple.com. There's nothing worse than a problem you just can't isolate. What version of Traktor are you running?
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Default Latency Latency Latency

Dude its the Latency.

You should be able to run Traktor with all 4 decks and FX with Keylock on with your Mac.

I have a MBP (2007) 2.16 / 3GB and i use the Firebox and i have latency set at 5ms / sample rate 4400 with zero pops and clicks.

It is a total fantasy that you need to get your latency any lower than 5ms. If you can thats great but any lower than 5ms is un-noticable and whilst people will tell you different it is just not true. And NI only advise 10ms anyway.

With 2GB of RAM you will have to up your latency. Try 10ms and then lower it until the pops start then up it until they go again.

Seriously dude, dont sweat the latency.

Is there much diference in sound quality when changng the sample rate? Is more than 44 neccassery? Sorry for the hijak
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

haha thanks zac for feeling me on this one. i'm running a 1.2.1 and probably the dashoboard idea's abit weird but i'll have my take on the latency and RAM of my machine. probably traktor feeds on graphics and processors at the same time, who knows.

karlos thanks for the eye-opener on the latency thing too. it'll probably be on the paper edge and i'd have to back the hell up of everything that's in here but it'll probably be good in the long run.
    it's weird that T3 didn't have such issues as far as my mind stretches.

well i definitely can't sweat the latency and i sure can't on the technique for that!

big up guys!

peace.
    Last edited by spaced_; 11-30-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    spaced___

Quote Originally Posted by Jo3 View Post
    Is there much diference in sound quality when changng the sample rate? Is more than 44 neccassery? Sorry for the hijak
    i'd say a 41's good enough. quality's as good as lossless as far as i know. 41 or 44, you could just set your tracks/sets up for mastering
    spaced___

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spaced_ View Post
    sweat the .....the technique
    Nice touch, i like that. Awesome tune.

Yeah sample rate again, is down to the machine 41 is fine, totally.
    If you can raise is without issues then thats cool but a Latency below 10ms and a sample rate of 41000 will sound good.

People get far to wrapped up in this stuff and in my experience they get too nerdy about it.

The reality is your machine has one optimal setting. Find it and use it and then spend your time playing and not fretting about a millisecond here and there.

Tech Guru

44.1 is fine. It was chosen as a standard for a reason. Upping the sample rate really benefits you the most when you are recording - you don't have to drive things as hot, and you get more dynamic range out of the recording.

As for the latency - N'uf said.

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast