Ableton + custom mappings question!
    Tech Wizard

Default Ableton + custom mappings question!

I have some basic doubts about ableton midi mappings, I made my own traktor mappings but never done it in ableton.
    I basically need to map the clip pads on a controller (probably akai apc mini) to the launch scene buttons in ableton, and ignore or "erase" all other native mappings of the controller.
    I understand that akai controllers have this "dumb midi mode" where you can assign any button/fader to any parameter but reading the ableton forum there are a lot of users who had problems using custom mappings with this controller and many of them referred to a specific software just to manage the mappings and comunication between ableton and the apc mini. But, to be fair, they were discussing super complex mappings, nothing like I need that is super simple and under the 50 commands mark for sure (no led feedback needed).
    So, bottom line, my doubt is if I'm going to have any issues doing this simple mapping in ableton without any third party software and if this is one of the intended uses for the controller (since I'm going to use this setup with a live band I need it to be extremely stable).
    Also, if you have any recomendation to face this mapping I would be greatfull since I'm new to this ableton-midi-world and I'm running against the clock with this. Thanks!

Mapping in Ableton Live couldn't be easier.

If you need scene launch buttons, and you haven't bought a controller already, I'd go for a Novation Launchpad. They've got dedicated scene launch buttons...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

The same was told to me by others many many times and I've been using ableton and controllers for years and made lots of custom mappings for traktor (supposably more complex) but then I did the usual double check on the internet before purchasing anything just to be sure and I found all this people that had many problems with this particular controller when not using the automatic mappings... So I'm looking for second opinions, It fits all my needs but this is holding me back.

Regarding the novation, of corse It's the second on the list, but the faders could be usefull in my set and anyways I would use custom mappings cause this controller is going to be used by the drummer and I need to give him controll exclusively of the scenes launching and nothing else to minimize points of failure in the chain of te set, all the other things are going to be controlled by me with another controller. The good thing about the novation is that (for what I read) It comes with Automap -novation's software to do custom mappings- and akai doesn't provide anything like that.

So faders on the akai, but 100% trustworthy custom mappings on the novation. If someone with the akai could check this mapping thing would be great, for example the apc40 (big brother of the mini) needs to be put on midi dumb mode to use custom mappings (by opening and closing ableton), but I couldn't find any information about this regarding the apc mini.

Thanks!

Any reason the drummer can't just use the laptop keyboard and use the arrow keys + the enter button?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Wizard

Of corse, many reasons, the first one is that I need the computer myself for adjustments on the fly, the second one that I don't want to give him any possibility of messing something up, the third one that the amount of scenes between song and song changes depending on the song (different amount of follow actions), also he doesn't know anything about ableton and I want him to be focused on the drums and not in if he pushed the right buttons and so on. But the main one is that I need the computer myself.

What about a USB keyboard and a USB extension cable? A USB keyboard can be had for next to nothing, and you could cover it in labels to help the drummer "not push the wrong button"...

Tech Wizard

Not a bad idea, but if the controller works as supossed, It'll fit other projects as well.

After deeper research (I read almost everything I found and watched tons of videos in youtube demonstrating custom mappings) I can tell that when re-mapping in ableton using the remote function, the only problem seems to be some LEDs staying on, but when doing a whole new script, anything can happen and akai doesn't provide any help or information at all. So be aware.
    Last edited by jjjjuan; 08-31-2016 at 10:09 PM.

I used to jam with a drummer who had and old Roland Octopad set up with his kit. I would map these 8 pads to 8 scene launches so he could trigger the arrangement from his kit while I still had control over all other parameters from my controllers. Simple, and worked a treat.