What's faster? I got memory problems

Default What's faster? I got memory problems

Yo I'm running my MacBook Air 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Traktor 2.10.2 9

My mac seems to be struggling. I have nearly 10,000 tracks I keep on a Seagate 4TB portable hard drive.
    I like having access to as much music as possible because I DJ 5 hr+ gigs sometimes. I keep everything on the external because I also run Adobe programs and CAD programs often for my day job.

What's faster? keeping 8000 tracks on my mac or on the external. How can I make the external faster so I can keep music there and stream to Traktor? etc. etc.

It shouldn't make too much of a difference if they're on an internal drive or an external drive (unless your internal is an SSD?). I'm assuming you've got a USB3.0 ext. drive?

What will make a difference to load speeds, is if the tracks being loaded has been played in Traktor before/analysed by Traktor before.

How many of those 8000 tracks have been analysed in Traktor?

Might be worth analysing everything (leave the machine running overnight) to speed up loading of tracks.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Default Thanks!

Yup, I analyzed my most commonly used crates (lost some cue points but no huge biggie). everything seems to be running just as smooth if not smoother. I was having some memory & latency issues before but everything seems to be smooth now. Thanks for the input.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Your processor seems a bit too slow for newer versions of Traktor. i5 clocked at 2Ghz is minimum now days.

You can try with older versions of Traktor and see if that fixes the problem. For example 2.6.8 should work nicely with that computer specs.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by josexthedj View Post
    Yup, I analyzed my most commonly used crates (lost some cue points but no huge biggie). everything seems to be running just as smooth if not smoother. I was having some memory & latency issues before but everything seems to be smooth now. Thanks for the input.
    Use of keylock and macro fx will dramatically increase the cpu load.

I can run 4 tracks on a 10 year old Duo Core 2 flawlessly, but I dont use keylock or macrofx.

Update: load times were getting tedious. I dropped my most commonly used tracks back onto my MBA and strongly considering doing a OWC storage upgrade. What fixes/features would I be losing by switching back to an older version of TRAKTOR?