Transpose songs without losing bitrate?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Transpose songs without losing bitrate?

I have Serato but I don't have Pitch 'n Time. There are a few songs that I've bought that I want in a different key. I've found websites on the internet that transpose your music for free into whatever key you want, but the bitrate goes down to 192. Mine are 320 (bought off of beatport) and I don't want them any lower than that.

One of my friends has VirtualDJ, which does let you switch keys with the tap of a button. Is my best option asking him to play my songs in the key I want, record them, and then send me the files? Surely there's an easier way? Perhaps a free program you can download? All I need is a program that will shift the key without damaging the quality of the song.
    Last edited by dolcem; 09-15-2016 at 04:46 AM.

Tech Guru

Learn how to use your software. Serato has Pitch N Time which does precisely what you are describing.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Learn how to use your software. Serato has Pitch N Time which does precisely what you are describing.
    That's the expansion pack. It's what I meant to say with 'Mixed in Key.' And I can't afford it at the moment after all that music I just bought. Surely there's another way?

Audacity.

Ableton Live will do this. You'll have to export to a .wav file, then convert that to a 320 .mp3.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Ableton Live will do this. You'll have to export to a .wav file, then convert that to a 320 .mp3.
    I don't have that. I do have another friend that does but he's really busy and I don't want to bother him. I'm going to try Audacity; hopefully it works.

You can d/l Live Lite for free.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You can d/l Live Lite for free.
    Can you transpose with Lite?

I spent the last two hours or so with Audacity. It works but there are tiny errors in the audio that really bug me. Like it sounds like the bass drum is getting hit twice sometimes. It also makes using the sync button impossible (and no, I don't intend to start any discussion on the topic of syncing).

The download speed for lite is about 2 days time, and I don't have 2 days. I'm going to try and use VirtualDJ.
    Last edited by dolcem; 09-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.

I'm not 100% sure. Live Lite does not include Complex, or Complex Pro warping, but you should be able to transpose using the Tones or Texture Warping Algorithm.

Download it and give it a go.

Stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes. You are far too focused on harmonic mixing. Worry about beat matching and phrasing. Changing the key of tracks so they fit sounds like way too much time and effort spent on the wrong thing. Learn the basics and be confident in them. Harmonic mixing comes much later in the process.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast