Allen & Heath Xone:DB4 - Still worth a purchase?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Allen & Heath Xone:DB4 - Still worth a purchase?

I currently have an Allen & Heath Xone:4D. I was thinking of upgrading to a XoneB4

Reasons for the upgrade is that I've now had my 4D since 2008,
    it's requiring maintenance that analogue equipment needs.
    last time I was cleaning the faders during a live online set (http://www.chew.tv/djrickdawson)
    (it seems to be better later on in sets, and occasionally the faders need isopropyl alcohol spraying into to keep going.

I'm also attempting to go beyond the usual basic mixing/blending of one track to the next at the ends of tracks.

I've been using traktor, and since added over time some controllers to also use Ableton Live in addition to Traktor, Original LaunchPad (upgraded to LaunchPad Pro)

I play pure uplifting trance, and I'm looking at the techniques that techno DJs use and getting them to work with sets.

so I was thinking the DB4 as a replacement to my aging 4D

I don't like the build quality of other mixers such as pioneer (they feel different)

I think the features of the DB4 would be useful for me in a set.

Found one place in the uk selling it for £1440.00 (down from £1679.00)
    then another place £1607.70
    the average going price seems to be £1679.00

is the DB4 still worth it?
    Last edited by djrickdawson; 09-15-2016 at 03:52 AM.

Tech Mentor

went ahead and purchased it.
    my 4D will be for sale once the DB4 is settled in.

its still current and if you know your way around it, its a beast....
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Di you not fancy the new PX5?
    Cheaper with analogue path as well - not as many fx though.
    SC | MC

I had a DB2 for some time, but had to sell it because I needed the money. However I started missing the mixer a lot, the effects on it were just so much better than anything else I tried. After some time I managed to get enough money, but waited a bit longer since Allen and Heath were going to launch a new mixer. Though the PX5 had only 1 filter and 1 FX bank, if I were to go analogue the Xone 92 still looks more interesting. So then I felt quite comfortable purchasing the DB4, and now I am in love again

The mixer is just amazing, usb to traktor, input matrix, 2 amazing filters, per channel eq/filter/isolator, 4 amazing effects with in depth control.. In my opinion this is still the best mixer currently out there, if you take the time to learn it, it is very powerful!

Tech Mentor

I did not update this thread...
    I've had the DB4 for a week now, and even yesterday played my first live broadcast DJ set with it

shameless plug: https://chew.tv/djrickdawson/the-tra...al-rick-dawson

I'm now looking at the more advanced things to do with it.

I eq mix between tracks. but I want to be able to use the channel filters to manipulate tracks between mixes.
    If I set everything to be at zero (eqs all at 12 o'clock) and switch to the filters, they alter the sound.
    as to have the same as setting the eqs at 12 o'clock require the hi filter to max, and low filter to min.

looking for a seamless way to switch from eq to filters and back.

one way I've thought of is to have one input on a channel using eq, and playing fader up.
    another channel taking the same input, set to filters hi at max low at min, fader down.
    then do a quick as possible swap with the faders.

Another thing I want to do is, if possible a long echo or reverb tail at the end of a track.

any other ideas that you have?

Quote Originally Posted by djrickdawson View Post
    I did not update this thread...
    Another thing I want to do is, if possible a long echo or reverb tail at the end of a track.

any other ideas that you have?
    In the User Guide on page 19, it shows you how you can route your FX chain (per channel). How I have it on mine is the following:

FX Unit: Post Fade
    EQ: Post FX
    On Switch: Pre FX
    FX Mode: Hybrid

With this I can get delay and reverb tails, when the track ends (or pull down the fader, or push the fx switch) and it fades away in the background. Also if I move the Dry/Wet to 100%, and have full on the Expression knob, I can get infitely long tails.

I would also definitely advise that you not only read the entire User Guide, but read FX Notes (2.00). Since the Expression knob changes different paramenters for different effects (also the FX ADJ encoder and FX TIME). You also need to play around with it a lot, there are certain combinations you can do by using multiple channels and the main filters, having a certain setting on an effect and the FX On button as a trigger to send certain sounds into a "delay/reverb tail".

Regarding the EQ Filters, why not use the main filter in combination with opening/closing one of the EQ Filters? I usually like to use EQ Isolator, and have a duplicated track on another channel with EQ Filter and be used as a "wet" effected version. Also I use Traktor where I have the 12 o'clock filters for each deck mapped already, thus I can save my main DB4 filters for grouping main parts of the mix quickly and easily.

not sure this will interest you as it has no effects but ill just throw this out there

Tech Mentor

I've seen that.
    using the filter instead of eq option is something similar to the model 1 (I can go very deep with things etc)
    sticking with the DB4

model 1 goes a lot further with the sculpting sound possibilitys but is also a big sacrifice in ones wallet, its a analog mixer and you will need a decent sound source if using something like traktor and some effects if needed because there are none, Chris liebing an Richie are using a 6000 euro + setup just for the mixer and the soundcard so for me the DB4 is good enough, until i win the local lottery...
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast