CDJs... worth shelling out?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question CDJs... worth shelling out?

I'll come right out and say it.. in your opinion, are CDJs worth shelling out for?

I've had a really old set of bottom-of-the-line Numark CD players and a mixer for yonks, so I'm not a complete beginner (although the pitch control on the CD players is prone to drifting and can make things difficult).

Have messed about for ages playing at the odd friend's party etc (forgiving crowds) and not put any effort into playing out, but now want to do it. I only want to use hardware in bars/clubs so would like to get to grips with industry standard gear.

Is it honestly worth paying the Pioneer tax to do this? Would much prefer to use USB/Rekordbox than muck around with CDs, which rules out 800s and 1000s.. other models are much harder to find a deal on.

In short... will it cause me problems if I'm unfamiliar with CDJs? All help gratefully received....
    SC - WS

Buy one of the Pioneer Controllers to practice and try out playing on the real CDJs at a friend, shop, etc.
    Totally enough. Buying CDJs for homeuse is total overkill.

Tech Wizard

In my experience, I have learned the mixing technique with old denon players and now I'm learning and practicing with Techinics turntables and when I grab a pair of CDJs it's child's game. CDJs works like every other player but better, more user friendly and are in general smoother in every aspect. And not to mention the accurate bpm measuring, It makes everything easier, you are going to be fine, trust me.
    Last edited by jjjjuan; 09-22-2016 at 12:55 PM.

XDJ-RX or XDJ-700 would bring you close to the club gear experience at home.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't even thought of getting a controller. The RX looks interesting and might fit the bill if I'm going to be using USB anyway. Any major differences between that and club gear apart from the mixer?

Honestly the XDJ-RX is my best recommendation if you're planning on using it at home for personal use, or for mobile gigs on the go. The mixer and layout are going to be very close to a club setup with CDJ-2000's and a DJM-900 - it's just a hell of a lot cheaper as an all in one unit.

Had they made this when I started, I'd already own one. I have a couple friends who have them and love them. Basically if you're not providing gear for events you don't need CDJs for home use, the XDJ-RX is more than adequate. If you are planning on renting it out then you need to go for the more expensive stuff as that's what riders will require - but it doesn't seem like an issue.

XDJ-RX if you are just using 2 channels. XDJ-1000 MK2 + Mixer if you plan on having more than 2 channels in the future (ie hooking up a turntable or getting a third XDJ-1000 down the line).
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Depends on what your end result is. What do you deejay with right now? What is your motivation for getting CDS's? Are they within the budget allotted to you for deejaying?

Mine literally have been sitting under the desk collecting dust since we stopped organizing events.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Decision made already... I'll pick up a RX when I can.

I currently have a really crap old set of Numark CDJs where the pitch control drifts. I'm looking to upgrade to something I can mix on without wanting to throw it out of the window..

The reason I want Rekordbox compatibility is because I like the software and I want to play out more.. Pioneers are what you find in booths and I'm looking to get really familiar with them.
    SC - WS

If you plan on renting out the gear and making some money, or throw events yourself - yes. CDJs are worth getting in those instances. As always the 2000 Nexus 1 or 2 are recommended, but the CDJ-900 Nexus are more than fine for the majority of non-headlining talent.

If you are just using it at home for yourself, house parties, or other gigs where you'd mainly be the only person using the gear? No. In this case getting XDJ's or the XDJ-RX is the better choice.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Over in the Buy/Sell Forum I'm selling a pair of mint condition CDJ-2000 NXS-2's if you're looking to make the jump!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast