TECHNICS TURNTABLES to be Discontinued
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default TECHNICS TURNTABLES to be Discontinued

Just got this email from DMC NZ.

Panasonic announces Technics production to cease in February 2010

The Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables have shaped the world we know today. Featured in the London Museum of Science and Technology they are regarded as a major stepping stone in how music is played and presented.

We have just heard the sad new from Panasonic (the manufacturer of Technics) that production of the world famous Technics SL-1200 and SL-1210 DJ turntables will stop at the end of February 2010. This marks the end of an era - Technics have been the industry standard for over 35 years with this turntable and the SL-1200 is synonymous with the DJ culture. It has been released and re-released over 9 times with different models and numerous other manufacturers have tried to compete with this deck, but above all, the Technics SL-1200 & Technics SL-1210 are the undisputed number one deck in the world.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Default Re: TECHNICS TURNTABLES to be Discontinued

Wow that was unexpected ! Thought they had a few more years of life atleast. What is going to be the new club standard then I wonder ?

No way... that's a game-changer there

On one hand I imagine turntablists will have a plethora of used parts to work from so won't be affected for a while, but what about booths in clubs? Surely a lot of owners are going to be reluctant to put 2nd-hand equipment in that has been discontinued? If so I wonder if we'll see turntables disappear from clubs...?
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

No way - I am pretty shure turntables wont disappear in all clubs. The 1210's in the clubs now can play on for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaekiface View Post
    The 1210's in the clubs now can play on for many years.
    Definitely, but if say there was a new club with no equipment and the owners had to buy it all, what would the owners buy then? (that's what I'm worried about, although it'll take a while for it to have any effect)
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

Quote Originally Posted by Lantau View Post
    Definitely, but if say there was a new club with no equipment and the owners had to buy it all, what would the owners buy then? (that's what I'm worried about, although it'll take a while for it to have any effect)
    Yup its not as if old clubs will be getting rid of their turntables, but new clubs might think twice about putting in second hand turntables.

Its also hard to see that there will ever again be an industry standard for turntables - so maybe the scene will go the way of the CDJ where you will find different CDJ's in different clubs.

Hard to tell !

Yeah i got an email from DMC as well i was quite shocked :eek: didnt ever really think turn tables would get discontinued lol well i guess Midi will now be taking over the scene
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Hmm, I couldn't find any official press release for this... Google lists only forum posts like this one.

Regardless of the substance of this rumor.... Now I know how it feels when you wish for someone's death and than he actually dies.
    Everytime you hit SYNC, an old paradigm dies a little.
    Setup: MBP 13", Audio Kontrol 1, VCI 100 1.3, Maschine, Traktor Pro 1.2.2

Tech Mentor

All I can say is damn....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast