Do You Really Need Phantom Power Supply When Using Mic?
    Tech Wizard

Default Do You Really Need Phantom Power Supply When Using Mic?

'Sup DJTT,

I want to purchase a BM-800 condenser mic for training my speech for my podcast show in the future. It is noted that said mic require a 48v phantom power for the clearest and loudest recording possible. I want to either plug the mic on my laptop's jack, or my controller Vestax VCI-400 mic inputs (XLR that doubles as 1/4").

FYI : The BM-800 mic comes with XLR plug, and packed with XLR to 1/4" cable.

Now, as someone who never own a mic before, I have no idea if I really need the phantom power supply for maximum recording quality. Since the power supply can be pricey, I wonder, does a laptop jack and/or VCI-400 can gives enough power to drives up the mic? If I plug it in to my VCI-400, will it make difference if I use a XLR to XLR connection rather than the XLR to 1/4"?

Thanks for the help

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I have no idea if I really need the phantom power supply for maximum recording quality.
    Yes you do, the mic will sound weak and pretty much have no consistency to the sound - to give you an idea of the differences between powered and unpowered use here's a great comparison using that very same mic !

If I were in your shoes I'd either pick up a Phantom Power box or a small mixer like the Behringer 302 for podcasting.

Yea,
    IIRC condensers wont even turn on if you dont have the phantom power. Maybe they do, but are just that low volume.
    Simplicity is Beautiful

Tech Wizard

Okay, so I decide to purchase the BM-8000 condenser mic and it's in delivery. I guess that DJ controller using a power supply, such as VCI 400 that I have, don't have phantom power on its XLR plug required for condenser mic huh.

Well shit, more investment I have to make then
    Thanks y'aall.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Envinite View Post
    Okay, so I decide to purchase the BM-8000 condenser mic and it's in delivery. I guess that DJ controller using a power supply, such as VCI 400 that I have, don't have phantom power on its XLR plug required for condenser mic huh.

Well shit, more investment I have to make then
    Thanks y'aall.
    If you want a good sounding mic recording, you need a good mic and a good preamp.

I doubt youll get any benefit from using a condensor on your controller than just using a normal mic as the preamp wont be great.

Yes, definitely for condenser mics. With my old dynamic mic i could just plug it into my mixer and i was good to go. However, with the new condenser mic i had to buy a power supply (after the fact, much to my annoyance)

This does the trick for me, around $40 nzd

Last edited by Jester; 09-28-2016 at 12:30 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "