Blew a monitor. What do you have?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blew a monitor. What do you have?

I have a pair of JBL LSR305s. I attempted to bring one to use as a stage monitor for the bar i spin weekly at. Needless to say i wont be doing that again. It was too directional. You had to be right up next to it to be able to hear it. I thought i was being generous but apparently I blew it. The high frequency driver is very chunky but the bass sounds fine. I liked how they sounded but i use them as my main practice DJ speakers and even in my room i felt like they were just barely not enough. I have a lot of friends who come over and mix multiple times a week so we have fun and they get used. I was thinking of getting a new pair but im not sure what. I have 2 subwoofers so i dont really need any more rolling low end. Just a good punch. Can anyone recommend something that has a stronger high end?

I have the QSC K12's Love em.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Specifically for foldback monitor, Dynacord AXM12.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

lol thanks for the reccomendations but i blew a studio monitor and am looking for another studio monitor. the bar i resident at uses K12's as mains. or 1 k12 rather as one of the weekend djs blew the other one and hasnt been fixed for 2 months now :/ but thats another story

Tech Wizard

I have rokit 6's. Not the best but do the job, and got them very cheap

How much are you willing to spend? If you're on a budget I'm happy with my Presonus Eris E5s, but I'd look to upgrade them if I had the cash. Upgrading decks are the next priority for me though.
    SC - WS

The rokits are good but again i have 2 subs and i dont need more bass and i feel thats where they really shine.

kinda looking for options, budget, mid range, top quality

Tech Guru

Mackie MR8 or M7.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

So let's look at why you've wrecked one of your speakers - you took a dome tweeter to a compression driver party.

Simply put, the dome tweeter in your LSR's are made for close monitoring, like in a studio ... They are not designed at all to compete in a room where there are PA speakers.

My advise would be to get a set of decent PA speakers, and probably a sub to suit, so that you can take it to gigs where there is inadequate or non existent foldback. This is what I have the AXM12's for ... And they're great for when you're having a BBQ with mates or washing the car in the back yard. K12's would also do a fine job.

Studio monitors are just that, for the studio where you use them for low to mid level critical listening, not for high level jamming with mates.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

You blew a monitor over a QSC K12? Wow.

K12s are entry level tops.

Sounds like you were trying to compensate for that blown K12.

Which means you were not using the JBL 5 inch as a monitor but as a lob-sided main.

Smooth move.

I don't believe in monitors unless I'm building a pro studio and charging people to produce.

I would buy two QSC K12s and bang them out for my studio and gigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast