Rane mixer + XDJ-1000MK2 + turntable?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Rane mixer + XDJ-1000MK2 + turntable?

Hey there,

What should I get?

I plan to use the whole setup for home use mostly but sometimes also borrow and bring that setup for my small cafe. And maybe rarely to the nights I plan to hold elsewhere. And I often plan to play with a friend on it.

I'mvebeen "around DJing" for years but never really owned anything. Besides an odl 3-channel Vestax mixer back in the day.

I just love the feel of it, so I would like to buy Rane rotary mixer but cannot decide if I need 4 channel MP2015 or I could "settle" with 2-channel MP2014? So it would be cheaper and take less space.

I don't think I'll be playing 4 decks, just mixing two is enough for me, but would like to play with a friend often.
    And would like to switch between CDJ and vinyl.

I'm also thinking to get 2x Pioneer XDJ-1000MK2 (so I could mix without my laptop) and for the time being one Technics 1200 vinyl player (maybe later get another). Or maybe I should get the new cheap Pioneer PLX-500?

I understand, getting a Pioneer mixer, would maybe make sense? To be able to hook up the sampler later on and get better use of and forkflow of the CDJ decks? But I just love the look and feel of the Rane...

Am I completely stupid to get this setup? What would you recommend?

No plan to use Tractor or Serato for the time being.
    I use so much laptop for my work, so thinking to DJ without it if I can.

Thanks and please don't kick me DD

Seems like quite a bit of kit for a first set of gear, but if it's what you have your heart set on and you have the money than go for it I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by mboy View Post
    ...and for the time being one Technics 1200 vinyl player (maybe later get another). Or maybe I should get the new cheap Pioneer PLX-500?
    I haven't used the 500's but I really quite like the PLX-1000's. Upside of those vs Technics is that it likely won't be as hard to get the Pioneers fixed or repaired.

Hi,

I wanted to make exactly the same set up for home use, but didn't go for the Rane as the soundcard built-in would not last as long as a full analog rotary mixer.

If i were you, for beginning i would buy a soundcard like the audio 2, so you can split two output from your computer into your mixer, and get a NI X1 as a controller... It would be for beginning because the 2 XDJ are really design for clubs, and are designed so that people bring only their USB key... If your set up don't move that much, it's better to take your computer into the set..

I'm new to this but that would be my guess

Tech Wizard

In my opinion, for your home setup or small parties, a two channel mixer is perfect, of corse a 4 channel one is better, but think of how many times you would be using more than 2 decks simultaneously (usually never) and then if it's worth the extra money (in my opinion it's not). Even in clubs is not that usual to use more than 2 decks simultaneously, the real benefit in clubs is having available channels to use when switching between DJs (for example you can plug in your gear without messing the one used by the playing DJ or you can setup the TTs or CDJs to your taste while the other DJ use the extra two), but there aren't really so many DJs playing 3 or more decks simoultaneously, I can think of just a few and no one plays in the underground circuit (of corse always talking about the CDJ/vinyl world, with a PC involved it's another story).
    That said, if you are planning to add a couple of turntables to the booth, of corse it's going to be more practical to have 4 channels in your mixer, im not going to deny that, but it's just a small practical thing: you can have both the turntables and the XDJs plugged in to a two channel mixer and then use the source selector of each channel to choose what particular device you want to use in that particular mix (for example if you are playing a track in channel A with the XDJ and you want to play a record next, then you go to the source selector from channel B, you switch to phono and you use the TT plugged to channel B, simple as that).
    THAT SAID, note that the Rane MP2014 is a digital mixer and it has digital (S/PDIF) imputs and outputs, so if you are planning to use some kind of digital player, it would be wise to use one with S/PDIF outputs (used CDJs instead of brand new XDJs maybe?) to avoid two unnecessary A/D conversions and preserve sound quality.
    Once again, this is my opinion, but regarding whocancatchme's post, I think that while the XDJ is a great player, it doesn't look like club intended gear, on the contrary, bassed on the price range and the overall construction quality I would say it's perfect for home usage, not in your particular case for the lack of the digital output as said before, but I just wanted to point that out.

Hope this helps, cheers!
    Last edited by jjjjuan; 10-05-2016 at 08:08 AM.

2 channels are sufficient. You can plug 4 sources, say 2 turntables and 2 cdjs, and toggle between those two you mix.
    Question is Is rotary your thing? There's no crossfader here and the mixing goes a bit less easy. Also you can't scratch on it. If you decide for rotary let's see the sound quality. Rane 2014 is said to sound very good BUT:
    1. it is digital mixer. You play your analog record, it gets converted to digital than back to analog upon exit. Rane may had this well solved, but still... You can get other excellent mixers that are fully analog. My suggestion below.
    2. Rane was recently purchased by Numark and will move its production to China. Rane heads say it is the end for Rane as we know it.

I would consider Super Stereo mixer. Not only fully analog but it has a valve version if you want AND a unique rotary crossfader, that for you as a beginner would make things much easier. Cheaper. Other rotary choices out there too.
    Note no onboard fx here, should add a separate fx unit if needed.

For turntable forget the plx 500. Get a Technics and don't waste your time on questions. Plx 1000 only in case you can't find a good Technics, but you will.
    XDJ 700 can be your cheaper way into Pioneer players.

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    2 channels are sufficient. You can plug 4 sources, say 2 turntables and 2 cdjs, and toggle between those two you mix.
    Question is Is rotary your thing? There's no crossfader here and the mixing goes a bit less easy. Also you can't scratch on it. If you decide for rotary let's see the sound quality. Rane 2014 is said to sound very good BUT:
    1. it is digital mixer. You play your analog record, it gets converted to digital than back to analog upon exit. Rane may had this well solved, but still... You can get other excellent mixers that are fully analog. My suggestion below.
    2. Rane was recently purchased by Numark and will move its production to China. Rane heads say it is the end for Rane as we know it.

I would consider Super Stereo mixer. Not only fully analog but it has a valve version if you want AND a unique rotary crossfader, that for you as a beginner would make things much easier. Cheaper. Other rotary choices out there too.

For turntable forget the plx 500. Get a Technics and don't waste your time on questions. Plx 1000 only in case you can't find a good Technics, but you will.
    I have soo many problems with your statements.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Like?

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post

Wrong topic, but you can look for the DJR 400
    Last edited by whocancatchme; 10-05-2016 at 10:30 AM.

What is RDJ?

Tech Wizard

The DJR 400 maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast