What does sound quality depend on ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What does sound quality depend on ?

The quality of your Soundcard OR
    The quality of your Speakers OR

BOTH?

Tech Mentor

sound quality is only going to be as good as the weakest link in your signal chain.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    sound quality is only going to be as good as the weakest link in your signal chain.
    So this can be anything from the quality of the audio file to the quality of the mixer sound-card to the quality of the speakers. Right.

Anything else ?

Right, Audio file, cables, hardware, pretty much anything that produces or carries the sound.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Guru

Don't bother too much about it, just try to read about how to improve sound quality of all those things mentioned above and do what is simple and reasonable. People almost won't hear the difference, trust me.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

if the sound quality of file you are playing is low, it wont matter how good anything else in the chain is, its going to sound like crap. start with high quality song files, then address everything else. it wont matter if you are playing on a funktion one rig, if youre playing 92kpbs files of tape to tape recordings of a radio show..youre gonna have a bad time
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    Absolutely true.

But there is also no limit on how good sound quality can be - and getting close to "optimal" can cost a fortune. For example, you can pick up a quality 2 channel USB audio interface for $150 - and get pretty darn good quality. You can also get a 2 channel A to D converter that costs $13k - probably anyone would notice the difference in audio quality, few would pay 100x more for it.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

#1 The quality of the Source

Then:
    The quality of your Soundcard
    The quality of your Power Supply
    The quality of your Speakers
    The quality of the interconnects
    The quality of the ears of the listener

Don't bother too much about it, just try to read about how to improve sound quality of all those things mentioned above and do what is simple and reasonable. People almost won't hear the difference, trust me.
    But this 100% .. I'd say most people on a night out are incapable of deciding if something sounds like crap so long as its loud or something they like hearing anyhow. (and I have seen a DJ get away with an entire set of 96kbps internet bootlegs during the iMesh days...full bar, everyone danced and the only person that could tell it sounded like crap was me!)

In my time I heard some pretty horrendous sound systems; completely distorted and overdriven. When you play on something like that, nothing will make a difference.

I don't know what it's like now, but the Ministry of Sound when it opened was just amazing, and I think the first club to really care about sound quality. So, on a system like that cartridges, quality of vinyl, turntables, mixer, amps, speakers etc, etc. will all make a difference.

There are often arguments on whether the difference can be heard between 320kbps and lossless WAV/AIFF, but on a good system 92kbps will clearly sound worse than WAV/AIFF.

During my time in studios I did a lot of demoing of analogue to digital and digital to analogue converters, often costing £4k. I must say I am blown away at the quality of the Native Instruments A10 I have; really amazing for the money, and really good sounding phono stage for vinyl.

I remember playing on a UREI mixer and when I listened back to the recording of the night I was blown away at how much better it sounded than my Vestax.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

You people have left out one very big thing when considering clean sound. Don't over drive your inputs on the mixer and don't clip the outputs. I don't care how good the rest of everything is, if you're clipping your audio it WILL sound like crap regardless of how much you spent on speakers amps and wav files.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast