Gain rant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gain rant

Default Gain rant

So I have a Gemini Slate 4 controller. It doesn't have gain knobs. So I mapped my midi fighter twister to the gain knobs only to realize that the gain on the knob doesn't hold its value when you load the next song. Thinking this could be a simple issue with the midi fighter not talking to serato correctly. I've recently played a show on an SX2 WITH gain knobs. However these gain knobs don't even controll the gain IN the software. They are just volume knobs! I just don't understand why make "gain" knobs if it's not the actual gain on the software. It forces you to perfect your software gain before you show up to any gigs adding way more time to set prep. I like the idea of each song having its own gain but FFS make REAL gain knobs please!!

What do you use the gain for? Isn't it meant to adjust the minor differences in volume of your tracks? That is what I use it for.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Right but you would think the gain lights on the software would match the gain lights in the hardware and this is NOT the case. You can turn the software gain all the way down (with the click of a mouse) and turn the hardware gain all the way up and nothing will play

The SX is routing the output from serato through the input of the channel.

Gain = Input Level
    Input Fader = OutPut Level (To Master)

Hope this helps.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

why individual output when theres an output master?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    I've recently played a show on an SX2 WITH gain knobs. However these gain knobs don't even controll the gain IN the software.
    That's because SX2 works also as a standalone mixer so they need them also to control the input level of incoming line/phono inputs. Yes, you have a point there, it would be optimal if the source on the controllers channel is set to usb (software deck) that the controller uses the gain knob strictly as a midi output into software.
    Why don't manufacturers do it? Probably because it would complicate the design = require more money. Also, then you have a slight problem when using DVS where you have the need to control the volume of incoming timecode signal + output of sofware decks.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

that makes sense although the SB also has "trim" knobs

that makes sense although the SB also has "trim" knobs
    don't understand your point?

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    don't understand your point?
    the SB is not a stand alone mixer

the SB is not a stand alone mixer
    yeah, that's why your comment didn't make sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast