Traktor dvs manual mixing problem - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Good advice above - check if this happens in relative mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I get that but you have to feel it to understand. It sort of jumps out one way or the other only around the centre line. Im not at my decks so cant do any tests till later but can possibly do a video
    I will have a check tomorrow morning. I never look at the phase meter, but will see if it does the same
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

I get that but you have to feel it to understand. It sort of jumps out one way or the other only around the centre line. Im not at my decks so cant do any tests till later but can possibly do a video
    I checked this afternoon. I hate to tell you but mine does allow me to get it bang on in the centre for both decks, and if it drifts out I can easily nudge it back in. This is in absolute mode, too.

I'm using Audio 10 with OEM decks
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Tech Guru

I can beatmatch ive had turntables for about 16 years. I just dont understand why it never sits in sync on the screen. Yes it sounds fine and i only really use the screen for loading tracks. Its just somthing id noticed and wondered if it was like that for everyone or an issue with mine.

How come if i use the s4, phase is slightly out. I move the jog wheel and it just moves exactly into place? With dvs it never sits in sync its always about 5mm either side.

So everyone who has dvs, the tracks never sit perfect on the screen? Im not talking about what you hear. I know it sounds ok, i'm just curious as to why it never lines up on the screen. It dosnt really bother me cos it sounds ok but since someone made a thread i'll chip in my experience with it.
    This is why Im finding this thread so confusing.

If OP can beatmatch on vinyl, and can get a tight sync on Traktor using their ears, why does it matter if the sync meter or BPM is entirely accurate?

The whole point of DVS is to give analog feeling control. If you need frame-perfect visual representation of position and bpm, then thats what CDJs are for.

The OP is talking about problems with the program and latency and specs, when IMO the issue is they are watching numbers and phase meters instead of listening.

For what its worth I run Traktor DVS with all snap, quantise and sync off because i want it to replicate the vinyl experience as close as possible, and I feel it gets close enough to not notice. I certainly dont feel the sort of 'quantising' behaviour that is being described here.

I think I understand exactly what the question is here and it is nothing do with mixing by staring at the screen.
    The behaviour of the DVS is as if the computer is trying to adjust back what you have just tried to manually adjust with your turntables ie reverse what you have tried to correct by nudging or whatever. Am I correct?
    If I am then I have had in the past exactly the same problem and it is really annoying. This is with using Traktor DVS with SL1210s and a DJM-T1 or any other supported Scratch mixer in fact.
    I resolved the problem by moving to Serato. I find you get a different (more analogue and natural) feel and do not experience these issues.
    I have moved back to Traktor now though (as I prefer it as a whole package).

Have you tried flipping between different DVS software solutions to see if you experience the same thing?

I would be very interested to know if there is a solution.
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    This is why Im finding this thread so confusing.

If OP can beatmatch on vinyl, and can get a tight sync on Traktor using their ears, why does it matter if the sync meter or BPM is entirely accurate?

The whole point of DVS is to give analog feeling control. If you need frame-perfect visual representation of position and bpm, then thats what CDJs are for.

The OP is talking about problems with the program and latency and specs, when IMO the issue is they are watching numbers and phase meters instead of listening.

For what its worth I run Traktor DVS with all snap, quantise and sync off because i want it to replicate the vinyl experience as close as possible, and I feel it gets close enough to not notice. I certainly dont feel the sort of 'quantising' behaviour that is being described here.
    Dont worry about it then. If someone helps me fix it, gets my setup running smoother and my mixes sound that little bit tighter, then great. If not, its ok i'm not going to loose any sleep over it. The laptop and the s4 is being replaced in the new year anyway.

Tech Guru

Dont worry about it then. If someone helps me fix it, gets my setup running smoother and my mixes sound that little bit tighter, then great. If not, its ok i'm not going to loose any sleep over it. The laptop and the s4 is being replaced in the new year anyway.
    This is the whole point though. Im not convinced there is actually any issue with your setup at all.

If you load two tracks, and turn the screen off, are you able to get a perfect beatmatch using using just pitch sliders and fingers? This is really the crux of the issue.

Because I can do this on my DVS setup. When I was learning, I had similar problems to what you describe because I was chasing the bpm numbers and phase meter rather than listening.

Tech Wizard

Checking in on this. Did my suggestion help at all? Reading the other responses i noticed some people just didn't understand the issues or the questions. For what it's worth I'm using mk5s. For pitch bending forward, I find it helpful to use the spindle over the record. I seriously just think it's the touch as you want to over/undershoot just the right amount for it to kick back in.

Just disregard the people who are calling out your use of the phase meter. Your grids are spot on and it's a tool to use. You can absolutely hear the difference using your ears between a tight sync and a off beat one

Tech Wizard

Thanks for your help everyone. Just to reiterate this isn't a how to dj question. I know how to mix. I've shot another video that will hopefully show the problem a bit better. The two tracks in this video are the exact same speed and I've got the pitch at zero. So in this example they go in perfect. When I pitch bend using the platter the track slows down but then jumps back to where it was. This is the opposite of what usually happens when you pitch bend a track into sync and it seems to jump back out. This jump is the problem. I'm just concentrating on the phrase meter because it visually shows you this jump. I have also checked my tts and they work perfect. It also happens in absolute and relative mode.

I'm not understanding your issue at all, especially in your latest video. FTR, I've had Traktor setup with both an S4 and my current DJM 900 NXS for a couple years now, using Traktor and never had an issue mixing DVS.

In your latest video and explanation, you're simply nudging the song, not true pitch bending. It's going to jump back to the normal BPM as the turntable gets back up to speed after you've slowed it down by touching the platter. (or vice versa if you speed up the platter) After you've nudged the platter, your phase is now going to be out of sync by the amount of time you've nudged, the amount of pressure on the nudge and the time it takes the turntable to get back up to playing at the speed the pitch bend would indicate. (in this case, normal timing per the digital file)

I must be missing something here because I see absolutely nothing wrong with what's going on in the video or your explanation.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast