Traktor dvs manual mixing problem
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor dvs manual mixing problem

I was hoping someone could help me with this problem in having.
    When mixing using dvs i can't get the tracks to sync perfectly when manual beat matching. Even if i get the bpm as close as possible. It almost always jumps out of sync. When i pitch bend it goes in for a second then jumps out. It's not like vinyl where even if the bpms aren't perfect it will go in and slowly go out. This is driving me crazy. I calibrate my decks every time i use them and my latency is at 256. When i mix using the jog wheels on my s4 i can mix perfectly.
    This video isn't the best example as it eventually goes in perfect but it gives you the idea of what I'm talking about.
    Is anyone else having this problem and is it normal? .

Tech Wizard

Might be jumping to conclusions here but is this your first time mixing with Technics? There's something known as "Fighting the Quartz Lock" (can't remember the official term) where pitch bending influences the platter but then the direct drive motor overshoots or undershoots to correct the adjustment. Huge departure from most other OEM turntables + cdj/controller platters. Eventually you'll develop the touch necessary to feel it out more. This is one of the large nuances of Traktor DVS that I don't think really exists on vinyl or other systems.

Could be. Set both TT's to +2% (or -2%) and see if it makes a difference.

Also - could it be to do with your Tempo Sync/Beat Sync settings? This would affect your beat matching if you've got it set to Beat Sync AND your Beat grids are out.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

No I've had them since 2002 and been djing since 98. So do you think my decks could be the problem?. I've never heard of fighting the quartz lock.

The beat grids are perfect and I'm not using sync so I cant see how the sync mode would effect it. I use beat sync for reference.

When mixing vinyl they work perfect.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Could be. Set both TT's to +2% (or -2%) and see if it makes a difference.

Also - could it be to do with your Tempo Sync/Beat Sync settings? This would affect your beat matching if you've got it set to Beat Sync AND your Beat grids are out.
    Thing is if you watch the video he doesn't use sync and the grids look pretty solid (basic 4x4 house)

2 questions, What interface are you using for the DVS and have you calibrated for turntables recently?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

@op Can you explain it better? You mean the bpm number on screen is not steady?

Tech Wizard

I've had my Technics since 2002. I've never heard of fighting the quartz lock theory, do you think It could be my turntables that are the problem?

I'm not using sync so I can't see how the sync mode would affect It. Also my beat grids are perfect, If I hit the sync button they match perfect.

I'm using an S4 as the sound card.

electroshock - The problem is that the tracks don't stay synced. If you look at the phrase meter It is constantly just out. During the video i'm pitch bending the record and It goes in for a second then goes jumps straight out.If the new track is to slow and i nudge it forward it goes in for a second then goes out again. The tracks are not massively out, but enough that it sounds terrible. I don't have this problem when using the jog wheels on my s4.

I hope this explains my problem a bit better and thanks for your help.

"Fighting the quartz" is not a fault, but not sure it is the reason here.
    Check the strobo on your deck if you know how to read it, it will show you if the deck is ok.
    As said above, tt and controller nudging behaves differently but I'd be surprised if that's new to you. Basically you have same bpms but can't sync them perfectly?

Tech Wizard

My decks are in perfect working order though they could probably be doing with a service. I can mix vinyl fine on them.
    I know what I'm doing when it comes to mixing. I don't know if there is something i need to change in the software or if this is normal when using dvs due to pitch drift as I'm using analogue turntables.
    It's like it's in or out and no in between. With vinyl if the bpms are not perfect it will go in and slowly go out. With traktor it seems to go in then jump out just a fraction. This doesn't happen when using the jog wheels.
    Am i the only one this happens to? .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast