Next Step Setup Recommendations - 4 Channel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Next Step Setup Recommendations - 4 Channel?

So I apologize if this is a bit noobish but I'm not sure which direction to go next. I started out with and iPad running Traktor DJ with a Kontrol Z1. I then upgraded to my current setup when that started to feel limited. I'm now on a laptop with Traktor Pro 2 and I use an X1 and, at home, a Z1. I would really like to start using a 3rd or 4th channel either for remix decks or just additional tracks layered in. I plan to get my own external soundcard to use when playing out so I can just play on whatever house mixer is available. What would be a good option for me to add on to my setup to expand? I was looking at 4 channel mixers and it seems that anything worthwhile is out of reasonable budget range since I would mostly just be using it at home. I with there was a 4 channel version of the Z1.

So any recommendations?

F1 is the answer to all of your problems.

But the sexy (cheap) answer is:

Zomo MC-1000
    Behringer DDM4000
    F1
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Hollender View Post
    I with there was a 4 channel version of the Z1.
    Like this?

Behringer MM-1
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Hmm the MM-1 is interesting. I think it seems like getting an F1 and continuing to use the Z1 makes the most sense for now.

With the MM-1 using an external soundcard I would still be mixing internally correct? In that setup would the cue monitoring output for the headphones come directly from the soundcard output? Would the headphone output volume be set on the soundcard and then while playing adjusted as necessary on the MM-1 using the cue volume knob?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Hollender View Post
    With the MM-1 using an external soundcard I would still be mixing internally correct? In that setup would the cue monitoring output for the headphones come directly from the soundcard output? Would the headphone output volume be set on the soundcard and then while playing adjusted as necessary on the MM-1 using the cue volume knob?
    Correct, exactly as it's done.
    Same with master volume as the cue volume - it alters the output inside traktor
    SC | MC

Thanks Nicky H

Anyone have any thoughts on the Numark M6? I like the idea of mixing externally on an analog mixer so that I don't have to change anything in the setup to play somewhere else on a house mixer. From the reviews I'm seeing it looks like it's basic but solid. Any experience?

That's a pretty basic (boring) mixer.

Bu, yeah, any 4-channel mixer will do you. You'll still need a 4-ch audio interface, though. (The M6 only has USB-IN for channel 3)...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

In the past I was in the same point you are now and I came up with a simple but versatile setup: a Motu Ultralite soundcard (or any soundcard capable of routing out 4 stereo channels) and an Allen & Heath xone k2. I had two custom mappings, one for home usage (without a external mixer) in which the two center channels of the k2 controlled decks A and B and the outer channels FX unit 1 and 2, Loops and deck gain with the top encoders and browse functions with the bottom encoders. And the other mapping was intended to be used in clubs with a 4 channel mixer, in that one the 4 channels of the k2 controlled the 4 FX units and obviously the 4 decks where routed to the physical mixer. I felt very confortable mixing 4 decks, but if you feel the need of practice with 4 decks at home, you can make a third mapping with no FXs (or with the FXs in another layer of the k2) and a full 4 decks mixer in the layer one, or get a cheap behringer 4 channel mixer just for practicing.

The downside is that you got to manually do every mapping, but if you feel like doing that, then it's great the amount of different things you can do with only one set of gear.

Hope this helps! Cheers.

Allen-Heath-Xone-k2-traktor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    That's a pretty basic (boring) mixer.

Bu, yeah, any 4-channel mixer will do you. You'll still need a 4-ch audio interface, though. (The M6 only has USB-IN for channel 3)...
    All this is right. The M6 was the mixer I used and it's all well and good but like Patch said, there ain't really a lot too it. Solid, but not really anything special. Being able to record the master via USB is kind of nice though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast