MIDI Fighter Twister Pro

Default MIDI Fighter Twister Pro

Hi everyone! After searching high and low for the perfect all-purpose endless encoder controller for Traktor, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't exist yet. Here are the three I've researched and tested recently:

MIDI Fighter Twister: Super compact, sexiest controller ever made, push-encoders thorughout, great support from the makers. Unfortunately, side buttons are not convenient, really needs top-facing buttons for switching banks and what not.
    Livid Code 2: Top-quality materials, looks amazing, great concept, has plenty of encoders and buttons in all the right places, all encoders are push-encoders, but the monitor firmware doesn't sample the encoders fast enough which causes erratic response, making it unsuitable for fast filter sweeps etc. Plus, it's discontinued.
    BCR2000: This one is the most programmable of all, but it's too big, requires mains power. Another downside is that only the top row of encoders are push-encoders.

And here is what I would absolutely love to see. Please welcome the MIDI Fighter Twister Pro:

Excuse the shoddy mock-up, which is basically a poorly executed concoction of 4 x MF Twisters and a few backlit arcade push buttons from the MF 3D. Here is a run-down of specs:

• Name shortened to MFTP (MIDI Fighter Twister Pro).
    • USB 2.0 interface & bus-powered.
    • Multi-client USB-MIDI driver so there are no "hardware already in use" kind of errors.
    • Screws on the underneath are not concealed by rubber feet to facilitate serviceability.
    • Same superbly sexy look, feel and quality as current MFT.
    • MIDI in/out ports at the back (next to USB port), using 1/8" TRS jacks instead of DIN connectors which are too bulky.
    • 2 x 1/8" jack footswtich inputs at the back (next to USB port), that can be programmed just like any other button on the MFTP (except no LED feedback).
    • 36 RGB backlit arcade push buttons. No side buttons.
    • 64 endless rotary push encoders with RGB encoder LED rings and push encoder LED under each encoder.
    • 15 RGB LEDs per LED ring.
    • USB jack at the rear of the unit (not the side like some Launchpads).
    • 16 banks
      [4]Some sort of LED selected bank indicator.
    • Any button can be programmed to switch banks.
    • Programmability similar to BCR2000 (which basically implements the complete MIDI standard). This would allow the MFTP to do things such as emulating a Mackie Control Universal, which can be very handy for DJs and producers alike.
    • Ability to use any number of MFTPs concurrently.

A controller like this next to a 64-button MIDI Fighter would be killer. What do you think?

Cheers!
    Last edited by Scoox; 10-20-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Wow!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

My vote would go for something like this

The Livid Code 2 is basically Stewe's suggestion, but it also has a bunch of button to the left of the encoders. Encoders on the sides are very useful to be used as "Shift" buttons, for example. Admittedly, the top row of buttons may not be very accessible because the top row encoder caps would get in the way. For a 32-encoder version, something like this would still be compact enough and offer better mapping options:

Below is the mapping I originally had in mind. On my BCR2000, which only has 32 encoders, I use banks, but it would be sweet to have everything right in front of me, without any bank trickery. Let's not forget that an endless encoder can take on multiple roles by means of a Shift button (or even several shift buttons!). That's the beauty of endless encoders

On second thoughts, while a 64-encoder device would be a dream come true for many of us, a 32-encoder controller is more likely to be a commercial success because it would be:

1) less expensive
    2) smaller, therefore more portable
    3) less likely to require an external power supply
    4) a huge upgrade from the current MF Twister

Another thing I forgot to add to the spec is bank indicator LEDs, added now.
    Last edited by Scoox; 10-20-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Tech Mentor

you should try the encoders from livid before buying a code. they're "clicking" when turned which is really annoying af cause it's not possible to do a precise job. but I'd make love to the twister's

Uber late reply, and mostly irrelevant considering Livid Code 2 is a discontinued product. Bought one second-hand with smooth encoders (they did some with smooth encoders, on order). I ended up returning it because encoder values jumped around all over the place if I turned the encoders fast. Also the software editor was pretty bad, and no RGB LEDs. For the price I was a bit disappointed. Sadly, Behringer BCR2000 is now discontinued too. That leaves us with the MFT which doesn't meet my needs because the bank switching buttons are on the sides. Also, apparently the firmware has a bug whereby the push-encoder LEDs don't update correctly after switching banks. If this bug has been fixed I might grab one, otherwise I'll make do without it.