Traktor Vs Rekordbox DJ. Your Opinion ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I would say the biggest benefit of Rekordbox for Traktor users, is that your library and Cue Points are compatible with the club standard CDJ/XDJ. I would usually just plug in my laptop, and control Traktor through HID mode, but one gig I couldn't, used a regular USB drive, and could only browse by folder structure and file name. After that, I added Rekordbox to my list of programs, and have been building up my library in that.

I know Rekordbuddy will make it much easier when the new version is released, but currently I'm using iTunes to keep my main playlists synced between Traktor, Serato DJ, Serato Live, Rekordbox, and djay Pro (Different gigs have different equipment needs, and or equipment already there, and I have used all of these professionally). Another benefit of Rekordbox is its compatibility with the new online music service Pulselocker. That allows you play streamed songs, rather than just songs you bought, for a monthly fee.

Streaming, rather than buying, saves you a lot of money for specialty gigs, where you don't really need to keep the songs you play that night in your library after the gig. Of course it requires Wifi, or a good LTE connection.

Also Stems are a great innovation, it's just the record labels that haven't fully signed on to it, so it's very hard to find a lot of good Stems tracks to play while mixing harmonically.

Quote Originally Posted by higglewerth
    Been using Traktor for ten years, working on switching to Rekordbox DJ now, both for thumbdrives on CDJs, and for sets with a laptop.

For me, what decided it was Rekordbox DJ's vastly superior library/browser system. The "My Tag" system bcombined with the filterign system and smart playlists are the most innovative feature for aiding in choosing tracks that I've ever seen come out in a DJ platform. You create your own tags to describe track attributes. I do stuff like "opener" "+vocal" "-vocal" "deep" "house" "drum n bass" "dark" "closer" etc. You process a track by toggling on whichever of your filters fits it, and then you just have smart playlists set up to automatically grab every track with certain combinations of tags. So I always have a playlist of every "deep vocal liquid drum n bass" track I have, and then I can sort it by intensity, key, etc. and all of it works both in software and thumb drives.

Absolute gamechanger.

My God that sounds cool...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    Does it have the equivalent of Remix decks, because that is another big plus for me....

Even though I use them sparingly.
    It's basically an expanded version of Serato's sampler with sequencer functionality. It can hold 4 pages of 16 loops/samples each but they aren't triggered sequentially in columns like Traktor does, you can't load the equivalent of a remix kit and adjust the sample filter/volume from your device (you can mute samples however. If you are heavily invested in remix decks then you might want to wait till they add link support so you can port that to Ableton.

I don't see them updating the sampler to something closer to the Remix decks anytime soon since those aren't honestly that broadly used.

Tech Guru

I've always thought Rekordbox had a superior library system. It seems like it has evolved enough to overtake Traktor.

I only use Traktor because I have a copy of it, but I would like to try Rekordbox DJ. Just don't have Rekordbuddy to transfer files back nor do I want to pay for another piece of software.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    I've always thought Rekordbox had a superior library system. It seems like it has evolved enough to overtake Traktor.

I only use Traktor because I have a copy of it, but I would like to try Rekordbox DJ. Just don't have Rekordbuddy to transfer files back nor do I want to pay for another piece of software.
    I've only played around with Rekordbox to organise/export tracks to USB, but it's dead easy and even fun to use.
    SC - WS

I think it matters on what you play.If you use your on stuff i suggest Traktor.But if you want to be more professional use Rekordbox.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Traktor setups are just as professional as CDJ ones, plus you can use most CDJs with Traktor too. It basically comes down to wether you want to use them standalone or not rather than having a "professional" setup.

Quote Originally Posted by SPIRITABS View Post
    I think it matters on what you play.If you use your on stuff i suggest Traktor.But if you want to be more professional use Rekordbox.
    facepalm.jpg

I cant describe it more than this picture.

I prefer Traktor more than Rekordbox.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post

Traktors browser is literally terrible.

There are freeware apps made by one person that have browsers with smart tags, smart playlists etc.

In traktor if you have the focus in a playlist, and say you want to add a track from another playlist.

You click on a playlist folder it changes the focus to a blank window.

To get back to your current playlist you have to scroll down through the list again or map a hotkey or add a shortcut to the shortcut bar. Then you have to scroll back up so the playlist you want to add to. If you then want to add another track from another playlist thats in a folder you have to go through this dance every freaking time.

And of course you can only have one playlist open.

So then they tell you to use Itunes for smart playlisting. But Traktor on PC doesnt support ALAC, so you literally cant load your lossless itunes files into Traktor and they dont appear in the playlists. If you convert them to FLAC then you cant see them in itunes.

Its bloody stupid.
    Last edited by ImNoDJ; 10-30-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Btw I hear that you can use any hardware with DVS, including the Traktor Kontrol Z2. I might have to try that out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast