Denon DN-X1700 not seen by new version of Traktor. Denon forums down or gone. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

High Sierra 10.13 support: http://denondj.com/kb/article/2360
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    High Sierra 10.13 support: http://denondj.com/kb/article/2360
    Welll that was disappointing, got your post trough mail and thought this thing somehow got support again haha
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    Welll that was disappointing, got your post trough mail and thought this thing somehow got support again haha
    Haha sorry man
    At least now you know support is broken for good? What's worse, even more legacy products are now obsolete - you might say all of the good ones.

Sad. I think the DN-X1700 is way better than the 1800, which I assume they're pushing users to upgrade to. Those were great mixers, it's sad to see them go. I imagine part of the problem is on the Apple side - they've been changing their system level audio stuff slowly over years and compatibility with existing devices seems like an afterthought.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Sad. I think the DN-X1700 is way better than the 1800, which I assume they're pushing users to upgrade to. Those were great mixers, it's sad to see them go. I imagine part of the problem is on the Apple side - they've been changing their system level audio stuff slowly over years and compatibility with existing devices seems like an afterthought.
    I assume there isn't the discrete custom stuff going on in the X1800 and clearly it doesn't have the options settings of the X1700, but the PPD9000 achieved some amazing stuff with IC-based analog input and outputs. Ditto with the original MP2015. The 1700 did appear to have a super high end interpolative upsampling on it in 96khz mode. Not to mention twin power supplies. Have you used the X1800 yet? I kind of want to get my hands on them. Love to try their new gear and find the glitches and issues with it to help them out. I want competition to succeed. Almost got an SC5000 today but don't want to bother with stuff where I can't turn off the moving waveform and BPM counter yet.

I haven't played with an 1800 no, and I'm not that interested. I don't like the idea of normalizing a 5 year shelf life for a $2000 mixer (or any audio electronics). And if I'm honest DenonDJ jumped ship on the X1700 long before that -- the reason I dumped mine years ago was because they shut down all feature requests like a year after it was out and said they weren't planning to update the firmware. It's sad to see such capable machines not living up to their potential because they've been abandoned.

This is a pet peeve though; I think a programmable unit should continue to be improved upon if it has the capacity to be, especially if that capacity is one of the selling points of the product (which it was for all those mixers when they came out - DB4, Ecler Evo5, and the Denons). They can certainly find a way to charge for new features in firmware updates. At a minimum they should resolve issues for operating system updates, especially minor ones as most of the OSX ones have been.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I haven't played with an 1800 no, and I'm not that interested. I don't like the idea of normalizing a 5 year shelf life for a $2000 mixer (or any audio electronics). And if I'm honest DenonDJ jumped ship on the X1700 long before that -- the reason I dumped mine years ago was because they shut down all feature requests like a year after it was out and said they weren't planning to update the firmware. It's sad to see such capable machines not living up to their potential because they've been abandoned.

This is a pet peeve though; I think a programmable unit should continue to be improved upon if it has the capacity to be, especially if that capacity is one of the selling points of the product (which it was for all those mixers when they came out - DB4, Ecler Evo5, and the Denons). They can certainly find a way to charge for new features in firmware updates. At a minimum they should resolve issues for operating system updates, especially minor ones as most of the OSX ones have been.
    THIS!!!! That's exactly the reason I don't "upgrade" to the SC5000's. Denon seems to have a history of abandoning their higher end products and while their hardware is rock solid they leave much to be desired with their mappings and follow through with entire capabilities of their products. I've owned the DN-2600F, 2x SC2000's, 2x sc2900's & the X1700 mixer. I WAS a bit of a Denon fanboy but have come to find that their support of their products after ownership is pretty sub-par.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    THIS!!!! That's exactly the reason I don't "upgrade" to the SC5000's. Denon seems to have a history of abandoning their higher end products and while their hardware is rock solid they leave much to be desired with their mappings and follow through with entire capabilities of their products. I've owned the DN-2600F, 2x SC2000's, 2x sc2900's & the X1700 mixer. I WAS a bit of a Denon fanboy but have come to find that their support of their products after ownership is pretty sub-par.
    I'm trying to think what history Numark has concerning firmware updates, considering that's really what Denon DJ is now...

Actually not sure. I know they added ASIO support many years later to some gear that originally didn't have it and will help you update it using third-party software for products that are discontinued. I know there were some firmware problems with their early scratch tabletop CD players, but they kept with it and ironed those out. They even had some later units with open source firmware.
    Most of their issues seemed to be hardware and mostly related to bad soldering, electrical isolation, or poor quality discrete components, like diodes and capacitors. I did hear that the HDX or one of those units never really completely worked right and people complained about the firmware development being halted once it was discontinued. Heck, I'm still waiting for my Pioneer CDJ900s to have their jog bend dead zone removed, but that's more a "feature" removal or need to make it optional than a glitch.

100% on point.

And from what I see, X1800 is a simplified/reworked version of X1700's DSP with added color FX's and a LAN hub and some features removed: headphone eq, no user setting export/import via USB, mixer cannot recieve MIDI in via USB). Of course, to keep profit margin up they removed all of the good/premium things that were on the X1700: matrix input audio path, dual power supply, Alps-K type line faders, discreet phono amps and headphone amp,...and god knows what else.

Also some strange decisions regarding knobs:
    - smaller EQ knobs than on previous mixers, no more light rings around important ones (EQ, master volume,...)
    - replacement of dedicated filter resonance knob for a pan/balance knob between prototype and production model (you can almost bet it was somebody's bright idea because NXS2 has one on the same place - doesn't matter that now master volume knob is smaller than booth volume, fuck logic)

What's worse, the mixer's firmware seems to be unstable - unit can overheat and can "freeze" as a result requiring restart mid set - never seen that reported on the previous generation of Denon mixers.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    100% on point.

And from what I see, X1800 is a simplified/reworked version of X1700's DSP with added color FX's and a LAN hub and some features removed: headphone eq, no user setting export/import via USB, mixer cannot recieve MIDI in via USB). Of course, to keep profit margin up they removed all of the good/premium things that were on the X1700: matrix input audio path, dual power supply, Alps-K type line faders, discreet phono amps and headphone amp,...and god knows what else.

Also some strange decisions regarding knobs:
    - smaller EQ knobs than on previous mixers, no more light rings around important ones (EQ, master volume,...)
    - replacement of dedicated filter resonance knob for a pan/balance knob between prototype and production model (you can almost bet it was somebody's bright idea because NXS2 has one on the same place - doesn't matter that now master volume knob is smaller than booth volume, fuck logic)

What's worse, the mixer's firmware seems to be unstable - unit can overheat and can "freeze" as a result requiring restart mid set - never seen that reported on the previous generation of Denon mixers.
    Or it's just a revamped X7 and bares no internal similarity to the X1700 at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it's got more Rane-inspired stuff in it than old Denon. Regardless of whether it's pedigree is more PPD9000, X1700, or MP2015, it's going to sound better than a Pioneer.

The X1700 matrix inputs I don't find particularly useful considering it's a four channel mixer and the digital inputs are not matrixed, anyway. I don't think I'd ever use a MIDI input on a mixer, but I certainly wish the the X1700's other features were still on the X1800. The firmware might get some of them added.

You have an X1800 or seen it do this overheat and freeze thing? That doesn't sound like a firmware problem to me.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 09-26-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast