What do you think about Gemini MDJ-1000? - Page 11
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

That all-in-one unit and the new 900, 600, and 500 seem to be getting ahead of themselves.

Considering I bought three of them, I hope Gemini is not abandoning the MDJ-1000 as hopeless and moving to better hardware on these newer units.

I'm still waiting for the MDJ-1000 to get a passive mode (no analysis, no moving waveform, no writing to the flash drive) so at least I can use them out in spite of whatever bugs are still present or sluggishness they have with the fancy features turned on. I think that should be step one.

Step two, in my opinion, is either getting rid of or providing the option of removing the browser split screen and album art, which currently sometimes disappears when you're on the folder at the top of a contents list. I think that will be big. They hang up a lot in the browser and the split screen obscures filenames.

After you have the option of Passive Mode and the browser can simply scroll through tracks reliably and quickly and select what you actually attempt to select, then the Link and flash drive reading issues would be on the radar. That's three. Users would at least have the most basic DJ media/CD player in one. In two, we get reliable, quick track selection and browsing... pretty important. And in three, the ability to actually use the Link feature and read all the flash drives they should be reading without resetting/rebooting or whatever they seem to be doing now.

Four could then be various misc and often inter-related (I suspect) bug fixes and tweaks. I'll group these all together.

*Add filename to the cycle of ID3 tags at the top when a track is playing.

*The glitchy, laggy, broken-sounding hot cue triggers, and various cue bugs that still manage to annoy and interrupt work flow pre-transition even if you're not trying to do anything too fancy.

*Browser track number not corresponding to the track number you select. I think this is related to the right side split screen contents often being wrong.

*I think when you exit the browser, the current browser location should default back to the spot where the playing track is located.

*I do not like the time out feature that automatically exits the browser, which is all the more aggravating with the browser hang ups and sluggishness.

After that, five, I would strongly recommend they get that pitch resolution up if possible and add back higher pitch ranges when Link is active. I'm not sure how much higher the pitch resolution can get. They don't seem like 10 bit faders even in HID, let alone 14 bit. If pitch res can't be further improved due to the hardware on the MDJ-1000, I hope the higher pitch ranges can be added back over Link. I'm not sure how much I'd use higher ranges with such low pitch resolution at those high ranges, but it seems embarrassing if I do an open deck night with these and a feature turns off when Link is used.

Long term, I would think additional refinement of the firmware could possibly improve overall responsiveness, fit & finish.

I am continuing to cross my fingers that such a prioritizing takes place and these are not abandoned.

Tech Mentor

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/artic...rticleid=29999

Never heard of these before. Late 2007, early 2008?!

Static electricity and heat issues?

Déjà vu

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=45554

I am both impressed they beat Denon, American Audio (Hanpin), and Pioneer to linkable USB media players, and a little freaked out that hardware was frozen too early, firmware stopped being worked on early, and it permanently has issues. This slightly worries me about the prospects of the MDJ, but I still can't help but be hopeful.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 02-10-2017 at 05:45 PM.

I really wish the hardware players would have user layout customization. You have these beautiful high DPI screens with plenty of room to work with, but unable to emulate the software workflow when it shouldnt be that hard to do.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    I am both impressed they beat Denon, American Audio (Hanpin), and Pioneer to linkable USB media players, ...
    The Denon DN-HS5500 was also released late 2007/early 2008 and supported linking 2 players via Ethernet to share files and cue points. You could also connect a USB hub for up to 4 external drives, in addition to the internal hard drive or CD drive. And it even had dual layer! (I love how they are promoting this as a breakthrough feature for the SC5000 even though they already did it 10+ years ago with the S5000 and HS5500)

Afterwards they released the S3700, which for some reason could share cue points but not files. And then the SC2900/SC3900 supported both again.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    The Denon DN-HS5500 was also released late 2007/early 2008 and supported linking 2 players via Ethernet to share files and cue points. You could also connect a USB hub for up to 4 external drives, in addition to the internal hard drive or CD drive. And it even had dual layer! (I love how they are promoting this as a breakthrough feature for the SC5000 even though they already did it 10+ years ago with the S5000 and HS5500)

Afterwards they released the S3700, which for some reason could share cue points but not files. And then the SC2900/SC3900 supported both again.
    They are also promoting the SC5000 screens as "browsing on ipad-like experience". Which is, you guessed it, exactly the same thing that SC2900/3900 had: Engine app on ipad for browsing, loading songs on your players with a swipe of a finger.

Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/artic...rticleid=29999

Never heard of these before. Late 2007, early 2008?!

Static electricity and heat issues?

Déjà vu

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=45554

I am both impressed they beat Denon, American Audio (Hanpin), and Pioneer to linkable USB media players, and a little freaked out that hardware was frozen too early, firmware stopped being worked on early, and it permanently has issues. This slightly worries me about the prospects of the MDJ, but I still can't help but be hopeful.
    I had seen those players when I was buying my MDJs but the sales person was telling me it didn't have the features that I was looking for that the newer ones had so I in up buying the MDJs and that's how I'm stuck with these things sitting in my closet waiting for this big firmware updates of updates !!!

Tech Mentor

There is apparently a new firmware (6.3) released, but the new updater says there's an internet connection problem. I added it as an exception, and that didn't even fix it. I guess it must be on their end or an issue with the software.

Tech Wizard

There is apparently a new firmware (6.3) released, but the new updater says there's an internet connection problem. I added it as an exception, and that didn't even fix it. I guess it must be on their end or an issue with the software.
    How it going Reticuli? I just downloaded it and tried it too and and got the same thing. I believe Gemini support has it disable till they officially announce it I guess. I also notice when you connect it said MDJ 900/1000 so this could be the firmware update to turn these thing into some we can use.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DjBlend View Post
    How it going Reticuli? I just downloaded it and tried it too and and got the same thing. I believe Gemini support has it disable till they officially announce it I guess. I also notice when you connect it said MDJ 900/1000 so this could be the firmware update to turn these thing into some we can use.
    I don't know how much more official you can get than it being listed on their official website: 6.3 released February 1, 2017. Certainly when they were updating 6.2 public repeatedly with sporadic and sometimes non-existent emails to go with the discrete updates without actually changing the version number on the site or the update software, that wasn't particularly official. This certainly seems like the real deal. I don't see any mention of passive mode added to it, yet.

I also just tried the latest public 6.2 version again, and I could swear its HID implementation with regards to deck assignment seems different. It was far more hassle this time around and seemed to assign decks randomly. VDJ's own settings appeared ineffective, the internal MDJ setting did nothing, and all I could do is go into Gemini's ASIO utility and change the output assignments until they were right. Oh, and I had to use the shift+eject button to get a reasonably correct deck assignment. I still couldn't get one of the units to show as Deck 1, so I just put up with Deck 2. I don't remember doing that before. Considering the unit that used to be Deck 2 doesn't actually work, I guess that's not the worst thing.

Tech Wizard

I don't know how much more official you can get than it being listed on their official website: 6.3 released February 1, 2017. Certainly when they were updating 6.2 public repeatedly with sporadic and sometimes non-existent emails to go with the discrete updates without actually changing the version number on the site or the update software, that wasn't particularly official. This certainly seems like the real deal. I don't see any mention of passive mode added to it, yet.

I also just tried the latest public 6.2 version again, and I could swear its HID implementation with regards to deck assignment seems different. It was far more hassle this time around and seemed to assign decks randomly. VDJ's own settings appeared ineffective, the internal MDJ setting did nothing, and all I could do is go into Gemini's ASIO utility and change the output assignments until they were right. Oh, and I had to use the shift+eject button to get a reasonably correct deck assignment. I still couldn't get one of the units to show as Deck 1, so I just put up with Deck 2. I don't remember doing that before. Considering the unit that used to be Deck 2 doesn't actually work, I guess that's not the worst thing.
    I have that same problem when connecting to VDJ have to sit there messing with asio utility. They're holding off for some reason I might call them they may say why.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast