What do you think about Gemini MDJ-1000? - Page 2
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Did you have any "skipping" or "sound freezing" issues?[/QUOTE]

I didn't have one problem with either of them, they both performed really well, the only gripe I had was the 650 jogs were too small for my liking, the CDJ 700 felt more pro-like with the over sized jog!

As for your question about CDJ1000MK3, I have them and use them to this day for home use, with traktor scratch and burning to MP3 cd's every now and then, they will set you in good stead if you are looking to get into the bar/club environment, if you can get them for a good price and all the buttons click/function correctly then why not, they were the industry standard for years for a reason.
    x2 Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3, NI Kontrol Z2, x2 Kontrol D2, Traktor 3, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air 2018

Quote Originally Posted by NiltonOffBeat View Post
    Recently I've been thinking about buying some used Pioneer's CDJ 1000MK3 instead of those Gemini's ones... What do you think? I'm seriously thinking about it because if I buy three used CDJ 1000MK3 the price will be the same as for 3 MDJ-1000, plus the reliability that Pioneer has. What do you think?
    I was toying with the idea of getting CDJs, but on another thread somebody suggested getting a XDJ-RX, which for about £1k is ideal. Would you actually use CDs or just USB? CDJs are expensive to just have them sitting at home.
    SC - WS

NiltonOffBeat

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    I was toying with the idea of getting CDJs, but on another thread somebody suggested getting a XDJ-RX, which for about £1k is ideal.
    Well I've seen this XDJ-RX, but I'm not especially a fan of it because you only got two decks ; I can't say I'm a professional DJ but one of the reasons I want to quit my controller is because two decks are no more sufficient for me, three is my ideal because I really love to customize each of my dj sets with acap & instrumentals playing at the same time, independently. Also, what I like with independent decks is that you look more like a professional (yeah I know it sounds a little stupid) but I really prefer "professional" looking decks, and finally I think that if I'm used to work with the MDJ-1000 or CDJ 1000MK3 I'll be ready using any other CDJs in clubs if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    Would you actually use CDs or just USB? CDJs are expensive to just have them sitting at home.
    Yeah well I prefer using USBs, that's why I directly looked for a MK3.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Willis View Post
    As for your question about CDJ1000MK3, I have them and use them to this day for home use, with traktor scratch and burning to MP3 cd's every now and then, they will set you in good stead if you are looking to get into the bar/club environment, if you can get them for a good price and all the buttons click/function correctly then why not, they were the industry standard for years for a reason.

Does a CDJ1000MK3 support Rekordbox?
    Last edited by NiltonOffBeat; 11-02-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Yeah well I prefer using USBs, that's why I directly looked for a MK3.
    The CDJ-1000 doesn't have USB though.

Does a CDJ1000MK3 support Rekordbox?
    No.

If you want CDJ's/XDJ's with USB and Rekordbox you'll have to spend more money. The XDJ-700 is the cheapest player that will give you an experience close to club gear. The MDJ-1000 will definitely not give you a club experience.

NiltonOffBeat

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    The CDJ-1000 doesn't have USB though.
    Yeah you're right sorry I deceived myself, completely forgot about the USB port... Didn't take the time to compare closely
    Well then the 1000 aren't for me...

No.
    If you want CDJ's/XDJ's with USB and Rekordbox you'll have to spend more money. The XDJ-700 is the cheapest player that will give you an experience close to club gear. The MDJ-1000 will definitely not give you a club experience.
    Why wouldn't the MDJ-1000 give me a club experience? They look very similar to CDJs? Even the disposition of the buttons etc.
    Last edited by NiltonOffBeat; 11-02-2016 at 02:11 PM.

It looks plastic and cheap to me. Yes, the buttons are kind of in the same place, but Pioneer players display a lot more information like genre, key, rating and comments. If you use USB and Rekordbox you can create playlists and search tracks by artist, album, genre, bpm, key etc. It looks like with the MDJ-1000 you can only scroll through folders. Plus if they are randomly freezing like you said, you can't trust them.

I'm sure Gemini is fine if you're just playing CD's and don't need those features, but if you do then Pioneer is the best experience. Even Denon tried and failed.

NiltonOffBeat

It looks plastic and cheap to me. Yes, the buttons are kind of in the same place, but Pioneer players display a lot more information like genre, key, rating and comments. If you use USB and Rekordbox you can create playlists and search tracks by artist, album, genre, bpm, key etc. It looks like with the MDJ-1000 you can only scroll through folders. Plus if they are randomly freezing like you said, you can't trust them.
    Yeah I see exactly what you mean and I'm agree with the fact that they look cheap and plastic (as all other Gemini's products by the way... but it doesn't disturb me much though), the fact that they can freeze randomly is also just horrible.. It's catastrophic for such products that should be done to be solid and working for at least 5 hours.. But my problem is similar to a lot of good DJs here with small equipment: budget. Of course with Gemini & Pioneer "you get what you pay for", but I can't expend my budget too much
    That's why I want to buy them but I'd like to get serious feedbacks.

I'm sure Gemini is fine if you're just playing CD's and don't need those features, but if you do then Pioneer is the best experience. Even Denon tried and failed.
    How that? When I go to music shops salesmen always tell me Denon is good, Denon is N°2 after Pioneer blahblah
    How they failed?

Denon has great quality products, and they were the one that started with software that would analyse your music and put it on a USB drive, so you could search tracks and share music between 2 players, a couple of years before Pioneer did. But no one has the software integration and the big, detailed screen that Pioneer players do (that's why they can charge so much money).

Denon tried to do it again almost 5 years ago with the SC2900/3900 and their Engine software, but it doesn't look like that software has improved much since then, and the screens on the 2900/3900 are really basic. The MCX8000 is a step in the right direction, but still the screens don't have much functionality, and not everyone wants a big controller. They really need to make a tabletop player with such a screen.

Unfortunately outside of Pioneer there just aren't that many good tabletop players anymore. The SC2900 is still being sold, but it's almost the same price as the XDJ-700, which has a much better value. So if you really want 3 decks, no laptop and you're on a budget, the choice is really hard. I don't think you will be able to get anything that supports Rekordbox, and without Rekordbox, using USB drives doesn't make that much sense, except as a backup.

If you're using CD's and just want to understand CDJ's, then the CDJ-1000 will be enough. Otherwise my advice would be to stick with 2 decks with the XDJ-RX or 2x XDJ-700. You can always save up and get a third deck later.

Tech Wizard

i thought about buying some for home and house parties, ended up going with the reloop rmp-4. they where only $100 aus more than the gemini and they felt much better. only con is the jog is a little loose for my liking but im getting use to it

NiltonOffBeat

So if you really want 3 decks, no laptop and you're on a budget, the choice is really hard. I don't think you will be able to get anything that supports Rekordbox, and without Rekordbox, using USB drives doesn't make that much sense, except as a backup.
    If you're using CD's and just want to understand CDJ's, then the CDJ-1000 will be enough. Otherwise my advice would be to stick with 2 decks with the XDJ-RX or 2x XDJ-700. You can always save up and get a third deck later.
    Thank you very much for your complete answer!
    Yeah I was also thinking about buying a XDJ-RX WITH the idea of buying another CDJ later.. It's not a bad idea because I really need to mix with USBs but I can handle to work without Rekordbox, I'll use USB flashdrives to "transport" all my music library I guess.
    And you're also right about the choice difficulty, I haven't got much budget and that's the real problem, I think I have to stay in the "lowcost" market for a while and learn to work with sh...y equipment It's like wanting to buy a Porsche when you can't even buy a BMW.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast