What do you think about Gemini MDJ-1000? - Page 20
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by daniel2 View Post
    Maybe Gemini's MDJ-1000 is currently one of the best versions. Pretty much a good rating on it
    SPAM-a-lot?

That said, if you use =<2TB ntfs drive of just tracks for each deck and don’t use link, turn analysis off, don’t use the four search/next arrow keys, set all cues and hot cues while in play mode (even if your hand is touching top of platter), and have a little patience with things like button mechanical issues (double presses might be resolvable in firmware by ignoring inhumanly-rapid registered subsequent presses), they’re becoming usable. I streamed a set last night for a few hours with one MDJ on the left and the SC5000 on the right. When holding to those rules, the MDJ was stable and just as useful for basic old school mixing as the SC5000 when I increased the Gemini jog bend from 3 to 2. Similar basic function and feel. The inability to set cue/hotcues immediately on the SC5000 was a pain. They both also have super wonky loop in-out-exit functions. Gemini has the exact same layout as Pioneer, yet they for some bizarre reason are doing loops different than Pioneer. Changing the Gemini back to less sensitive jog bend of 3 and it was easier to mix on than the super expensive Denon, which, by the way, also currently has issues with its link. While the Gemini is a touch dry-sounding out the analog outs, its arguably got a more extended top-end and less Torq 2.0-like dark, compressed sound with keylock off compared to the Denon if we're comparing SPDIF. I sort of am not as motivated to use the SC5000 with the PPD9000 because it doesn't have sample rate selection for the SPDIF out and is stuck at 96khz. The Gemini also currently has deeper pitch resolution compared to the SC5000 v1.0.3 firmware. BTW, the Denon dropped NTFS read-only support for some reason.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 04-30-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Tech Convert

However I wouldn't recommend buying one

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JeanSB View Post
    However I wouldn't recommend buying one
    I wouldn't right now, either. If you already own them and hold to some extensive, strict guidelines, they're getting usable finally. I did two hours with three of them. I didn't feel exhausted anymore towards the end even with the unavoidable issues, and they felt pretty natural and fun. No waiting for analysis. No distractions. Intuitive pitch bend.

With either CDs or NTFS MBR USB drives per unit (I'm using 2TB drives) with analysis, quantize, and grids all off, then keeping the following in mind:

Track number at top is still wrong, counting the folder at the top as track one.
    Folder and file names do not scroll in the browser and there's no way currently to get rid of the split screen. So it might be hard to know what the whole name is.
    There is still center jog display marker drift.
    Inhumanly fast double button presses are not yet ignored.
    Can't use link reliably. Don't use it.
    SPDIF outputs actually mute until a split second after the track is playing, with a faint tick as they switch on.
    Still some oddities with cues and especially hot cues. You have to be patient with that.
    The rotary encoder rheostats aren't the most reliable part it appears. Sometimes rotating one notch forward/clockwise causes the browser highlighter to go backwards.
    Can't use arrow keys without problems, so currently don't use them at all.
    Use the encoder & browser to select tracks and do the following...
    Instead of fast forward or backward "search" keys, you can pretty reliably navigate within a track with jog scratch or jog bend in combination with pitch fader at 100% and reverse.
    I would prefer if bpm defaulted with analysis off and Auto on to either blank or 100 instead of potentially misleading people who don't know that the tracks are not all 130bpm, but that's a minor gripe. People will quickly figure that out.
    For some reason, the back/forth increments on the Gemini at 16% is still only at 0.1 resolution. So Pioneer and Denon beat it there.
    A strict read-only mode for Fat drives would be nice.
    On-screen info for the break & start times would be nice as the knobs are pretty touchy.

A new firmware is apparently forthcoming. I don't know when it will be released or how much of this will be addressed, but they claim to be working on it. There hasn't been a new firmware for the MDJ in almost a year.

The positives:
    Nice jog bend that is adjustable. No Pioneer jog bend deadzone or Denon's asymmetric sensitivity.
    The 4% and 8% pitch ranges have the best resolution you can find on a player. Hopefully Denon reverses that decision on their next firmware.
    Scratching back behind zero time does not go to the previous track.
    With key lock off, the sound quality is better than the new Denons. Denon does have the best key lock, though.
    MDJ-1000 (and Denon) has usable pitch ranges between 16% and 100% that the Pioneers lack.
    With MBR drives, the MDJ-1000 (and Denon) appears to see every folder and every track, unlike the Pioneers that sometimes say whole folders are empty.
    Gemini has managed to implement NTFS read-only support and ability to turn analysis off. This is pretty much unprecedented on this new breed of players. Pioneer's not going to do that any time soon if ever and Denon is still working on it, or at least the ability to customize on-screen info and not require analysis to do basic things like set a cue.

The next Denon firmware will supposedly clear up a lot of the SC5000's issues and add a number of capabilities, so I expect next firmware to make many of these complaints against "new Denon" moot.

If it was up to me, the priority on the Gemini firmware would be the SPDIF muting problem, ignoring inhumanly-fast extra button presses, cues/hot cues performance and reliability, getting those arrow keys working without messing up track or drive reading, doing something to mitigate or make optional the browser split screen, and resolving the drift on the center jog display. Then other stuff gets worked on later. The Gemini's crude "old Denon"-style Link has such limited use even if it was working without glitches, I'd probably not advertise it much and just tell people that with small drives at home they can give it a go, but recommend they just use one drive for each player for the foreseeable future. It'd be great if the Link was magically at the big boy's level, but I'm doubtful that will ever be possible with this hardware even with glitch-free and polished firmware. Drives are cheap, though.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 06-13-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920