What do you think about Gemini MDJ-1000? - Page 19
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    .015 at 6% (display fluctuates between .01 and .02 increments) in standalone mode. Make sure Adam has updated his firmware.
    Wow, groovy! They improve it at 10, 16%, and Wide, too?
    Last edited by Reticuli; 09-28-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    Wow, groovy! They improve it at 10, 16%, and Wide, too?
    I will let you know when I get home. Ive never been one to really pay attention to the pitch increments (constantly mixing by ear).
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Even so, .05% is 0.0875 bpm +/- at 175 BPM

Thats not enough to make a giant difference.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Even so, .05% is 0.0875 bpm +/- at 175 BPM

Thats not enough to make a giant difference.
    Yeah, I definitely find 0.05 quite good for blends compared to the baby-sitting situation that is 0.1, though 0.02 increments is tighter for longer blends... hence the reason I think Gemini needs to get their wiggle increments up for the 16% range that they're lagging on and also why the 24% range with 0.1-0.2 increments is more useful than Wide with 0.5 increments for me.

Yeah, I definitely find 0.05 quite good for blends compared to the baby-sitting situation that is 0.1, though 0.02 increments is tighter for longer blends... hence the reason I think Gemini needs to get their wiggle increments up for the 16% range that they're lagging on and also why the 24% range with 0.1-0.2 increments is more useful than Wide with 0.5 increments for me.
    Anything above the 10% range, you will start seeing limitations based on the length of the pitch fader. Unless you want a 10 inch pitch fader on your player? :-p

Tech Mentor

I tried three MDJs live for 4+ hours at a venue I do, and it started out fun for the first hour with the superior jog bend (to Pioneers) and decent pitch resolution at 8%, but became very frustrating. It's also exhausting eventually on these. Sure, long DJ sessions can get like that, but there's an additional stress on you and strain on your attention that the Geminis contribute. Slow browsing. Difficult to ID tracks and folders with the split screen in the browser. Momentary freezes when browsing. Cues not setting right all the time or playing correctly. Quite a few persistent glitches remain even if you adhere to the following:

*Turn analysis off and BPM to manual.
    *Always set cues and loops when in Play mode and not paused.
    *Don't use Back button (seems to sometimes reset/drop-out drive reading and Link).
    *Don't use the "search & track search" forward/back, next/previous four button arrow group on the left side at all. The lack of needle drop strip or touch screen really is noticeable on this one.
    *Have the patience of a saint.

I think overall the sound quality with key lock Off on the latest firmware I've got, which I think is 6.5.5, is somewhere between the Pioneers and Hanpins, and possibly slightly better sounding than pre-Nexus Pioneers if we're comparing key lock. MDJs do seem a little brighter, thinner, and more dry than either and do benefit from tubes/valves, but MDJs maybe a bit smoother and less crunchy than the Hanpins, even comparing key lock On on the Geminis within about +-6% to key lock Off on the Hanpins. If they can improve it further, that'd be great, but it's not a deal breaker. Now, the Hanpins never skip at all or have any ticks, but I'm talking sound quality when glitches aren't occurring.

Tech Convert

Hey man, so how're the MDJ workin now?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JeanSB View Post
    Hey man, so how're the MDJ workin now?
    Haven't bothered with them since there's been no recent firmware update since like July. All the recent previous issues I've mentioned are unchanged.

Tech Convert

Haven't bothered with them since there's been no recent firmware update since like July. All the recent previous issues I've mentioned are unchanged.
    Lol, alright

Maybe Gemini's MDJ-1000 is currently one of the best versions. Pretty much a good rating on it