S8 + Traktor + Live input from vinyl

Default S8 + Traktor + Live input from vinyl

Hello guys,

I would put this as easy as I can.

I have a laptop + Traktor + S8 + one turntable.

For example, I plugged my turntable in channel D on the S8 and I chose on the channel the option "Live Input" in order for Traktor to read a song from a vinyl spinning on the turntable.

The problem is that when I load a song on track A for example from the laptop in Traktor, it is impossible to sync it with the song playing on vinyl on channel D.

Is there a specific configuration that I need do to in order to play in sync a song from my vinyl collection on the turntable with my digital collection in Traktor ?

I researched the internet and I wasn't able to find anything good.

Please help me out with some instructions...

Traktor can't sync to anything without a beatgrid, so you need to learn to beatmatch using your ears.
    Last edited by ErikMinekus; 11-09-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    Traktor can't sync to anything without a beatgrid, so you need to learn to beatmatch using your ears.
    Hello and thank you for your reply.

Indeed I do need to learn how to beatmatch using my ears but the real problem is that I am not able to detect the BPM on vinyl..

For example I loaded on track A a song that had 125 BPM and I also used a vinyl with a song that also had 125 BPM.

I tried several times to beatmatch it using my ears and from my point of view it should have worked but it didn't.

I only was able to beatmatch the songs once and for a few seconds because after that, the song that was playing on track A (from the laptop) started messing around..

This is where I do not understand what is happening.

Why after beatmaching those 2 songs, the sync got lost ?

Also, the turntable is running with belts, it is an old one.

it is maybe related ?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    this

the thing is not the bpm (in fact there are apps that if you tap the rhythm you could get the BPM).

First you need to understand the song structure, that's key of djing. The 4x4. You have to train yourself when listening music to count music. It's fun because you'll be able to know when the music is gonna make a change before it does.

The pattern will be: 1,2,3,4 - 2,2,3,4 - 3,2,3,4 - 4,2,3,4 - 5,2,3,4 - 6,2,3,4 - 7,2,3,4 - 8,2,3,4 and then in most cases that is a new phrase. But you need to train it, ok?

So to mix with vinyl you need to manual cue with vinyl. That is made by taking one point of the song (First beat of a phrase) and with that point make a forward and backward movement that syncs with the song currently playing. For few seconds their bass is gonna sound at the same time. And then they will start to miss the sync, so you must push the platter fordward/backwars to get it back to sync again, this is like a race! You need to put your car again with the leader one..so if you move the platter that means you need to move the pitch fader of your turntable in a faster or slower position, because that car which you need to follow is faster or slower than you, are you getting it? And then start again, in the same point you started, and it will come a moment when they are together, with no variations or corrections with the platter or pitch, and that's the moment you realise you have beatmatched a song, that glorious moment!

I hope, this helps. If not, there are tons of online videos in youtube, where they teach to beatmatch in a better english than mine.
    Last edited by The Lazy One; 01-08-2017 at 11:56 AM.