Advise on set-up
    Tech Convert

Default Advise on set-up

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so excuse me if this is the wrong topic.
    Currently I own a Pioneer DDJ-SR and a Numark 4trak. I've been playing with these a lot and did some life performances with the pioneer DDJ-SR. Both are fun controllers but I believe I'm ready to take it to the next level.

I have saved up around €4000 (can raise this to €5000) and I hope I could get some feedback here about what to buy for a new 4 channel set-up.

At first I was thinking about the 'Traktor Kontrol X1 MkII' to simply add 2 decks to the whole set-up but since I would be far within my budget, I have my head spinning on all kinds of solutions.
    Maybe 2 x 'Traktor D2', maybe 2 x CDJ-350 or maybe a solution I didn't know yet (which is why I'm posting on this forum).

I'd like to have at least 2 x XDJ-1000 MK2 (€2600), that's for sure. Next to that I'm looking for a mixer and another solution for 2 extra decks which needs to fit within the budget. If I stay within budget I might also add the Pioneer RMX-1000.

I'm wondering what you guys use or if someone has a cool solution to add to my setu.

Quote Originally Posted by CNSTRCTR View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so excuse me if this is the wrong topic.
    Currently I own a Pioneer DDJ-SR and a Numark 4trak. I've been playing with these a lot and did some life performances with the pioneer DDJ-SR. Both are fun controllers but I believe I'm ready to take it to the next level.

I have saved up around €4000 (can raise this to €5000) and I hope I could get some feedback here about what to buy for a new 4 channel set-up.

At first I was thinking about the 'Traktor Kontrol X1 MkII' to simply add 2 decks to the whole set-up but since I would be far within my budget, I have my head spinning on all kinds of solutions.
    Maybe 2 x 'Traktor D2', maybe 2 x CDJ-350 or maybe a solution I didn't know yet (which is why I'm posting on this forum).

I'd like to have at least 2 x XDJ-1000 MK2 (€2600), that's for sure. Next to that I'm looking for a mixer and another solution for 2 extra decks which needs to fit within the budget. If I stay within budget I might also add the Pioneer RMX-1000.

I'm wondering what you guys use or if someone has a cool solution to add to my setu.
    S8 + XDJ-1000s + Reloop RP-7000s
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

How do you feel about drum machines? the roland tr8, tr09, arturia drumbrute, etc. might partner well with your setup.
    Last edited by grim dimlight; 11-29-2016 at 12:03 AM.

That's a lot of money for someone to spend when they don't know what they want to spend it on...

And the truth is - you've got enough individual controls to easily manipulate Traktor in any configuration of Decks.

Maybe you should explore Remix Decks, or Stems, and expand you playing style, before you decide what gear to buy? Once you've got a solid style/technique, it will be very obvious to you what controllers you need to buy.

Why not try using the 4Trak as a 4 deck (Main) controller, and maybe use the DDJ-SR as a supplemental controller, for 2 Remix Decks?

or, if the money's burning a hole in your pocket, happydans suggestion sounds like fun:

S8 + XDJ-1000s + Reloop RP-7000s
    But he forgot a Zomo MC1000
    Last edited by Patch; 11-29-2016 at 07:34 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Id suggest starting simple, get the 1000's and the mixer of your choice and then add more as you max the limits of those.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by grim dimlight View Post
    How do you feel about drum machines? the roland tr8, tr09, arturia drumbrute, etc. might partner well with your setup.
    Been thinking of finding a second hand ableton push to start with. A 2 deck set-up will do just fine with something like that. I have bought a Akai APC 25 key to figure out the whole Ableton world.
    Definitely something I'll keep in mind till I'm actually buying all the stuff. Thanks!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    That's a lot of money for someone to spend when they don't know what they want to spend it on...

And the truth is - you've got enough individual controls to easily manipulate Traktor in any configuration of Decks.

Maybe you should explore Remix Decks, or Stems, and expand you playing style, before you decide what gear to buy? Once you've got a solid style/technique, it will be very obvious to you what controllers you need to buy.

Why not try using the 4Trak as a 4 deck (Main) controller, and maybe use the DDJ-SR as a supplemental controller, for 2 Remix Decks?

or, if the money's burning a hole in your pocket, happydans suggestion sounds like fun:

But he forgot a Zomo MC1000
    I've been playing on controllers for five years now. The shit I already went thru with controllers just made me lose my faith in the reliability of those things. I prefer not to be reliable of any software anymore.
    Next to that, playing on a real cdj's/xdj's and mixers, still feels a whole lot different.
    The idea of the reloops are really great! I could use those just at home with traktor (the base of the set-up will still be stand alone).
    Thanks for the replies and sorry for the late response. Didn't think I would get any answers that soon!