Remixing other folks' tracks

Default Remixing other folks' tracks

Would really appreciate people's experiences on remixing tracks.

If somebody approaches you to do a remix, does it ever come with stipulations about how nuts you can go on changing the sound? My view is... my remix, my rules... is that realistic?

I'm asking for... er... a friend.
    SC - WS

I have just completed a remix for a label I work with (should be out next month) when I was first asked to do it I was a little apprehensive as I have a slightly different sound to other guys on the label, its still tech house but I like it a little darker than the rest of the guys. I did my remix and submitted it a couple of days after receiving the stems and told the label boss I wasn't 100% sure if he would go with it as it sounds different compared to the labels back catalogue. He listened to it and loved it and told me he was happy to have some darker stuff on the label as he wanted to widen the scope of the music more and wants to continue working with me in the future, maybe im lucky to be affiliated with an open minded label as I know there are a lot of brands out there that are hardcore and very black and white with the music policy. But I TOTALLY agree if you are approached to do a remix it should be your rules, if they don't buy it that's their choice but the label should have scoped you out well enough before hand and know what sort of style to expect from you - otherwise why did they ask you in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Chael View Post
    otherwise why did they ask you in the first place?
    This is what I was thinking.

Another interesting point.. presumably you didn't sign anything before they'd heard it? I remember a lot of arguing about this on the old NSB forum... Lots of people on there saw it as a waste of their time to put together a remix, only to have it rejected/not used in the release/not get paid anything for their efforts (although to be fair quite a few members of that community were reasonably 'big names' in the scene).
    SC - WS

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    This is what I was thinking.

Another interesting point.. presumably you didn't sign anything before they'd heard it? I remember a lot of arguing about this on the old NSB forum... Lots of people on there saw it as a waste of their time to put together a remix, only to have it rejected/not used in the release/not get paid anything for their efforts (although to be fair quite a few members of that community were reasonably 'big names' in the scene).
    Nah i didn't sign anything before hand, i had an EP released back in September and the label asked if i would be interested in doing some remix work for an upcoming release, i said i would likely be happy to but i would prefer to hear the original first before committing fully. I got sent a preview of the original and a few days later received the stems, once i had submitted my remix the contract was sorted out and now I'm just waiting on the release date. I was asked by the label boss to ask around for people that might be interested in submitting demos, i just give your soundcloud a listen and even though i can't speak for them i reckon they may be interested in your music, they tend to lean on the house side of tech house, i can hit you up with the relevant links if you want mate

Thanks mate, makes sense. And also, sure, never hurts to have more links!
    SC - WS