How do I do a warm up set when I only play my own productions? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

How did the promoter find out about you? Does he knows your style? If so, just go ahead to do play your stuff.

Sometimes I work with promotors that book DJs or artist without knowing how they play. They just book them because they are famous. I always tell the DJs and artist just do their stuff anyway. It teaches the promotor to listen before booking :-D

Tech Wizard

This is my opinion but almost every DJ I know thinks the same. A warm up should entertain the people and keep the audience on the dancefloor while every body gets to the club but leting the main DJ a lot of "space" to play around with the intensity of the night to his will, if you play only intense music you are limiting his options, and also you have to keep in mind that a dancefloor cant be to a 100% intensity level all night long because it just get boring and tiring, a warm up should be made to let the main set shine. And last but not least, you are getting paid to do a job, not to show your music, the promoter and the audience doesn't care if you are playing your music or not, during the warm up the only thing they care is listening to a good warm up, what you use to get that job done is up to you.

It's a very thin line because you must not play boring music but you have to keep the intensity to a healthy level, in my opinion, a proper warm up is way more difficult to do than a main set. If you are not wiling to play someone else's music and you don't have warm up music of your own I would turn down the offer.

Tech Convert

a friend knows the promoter and got me the gig. but ok, judging by the replies on this thread, I have turned down the offer to warm up. thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by djgstefan View Post
    How did the promoter find out about you? Does he knows your style? If so, just go ahead to do play your stuff.

Sometimes I work with promotors that book DJs or artist without knowing how they play. They just book them because they are famous. I always tell the DJs and artist just do their stuff anyway. It teaches the promotor to listen before booking :-D
    This is a good point.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    a friend knows the promoter and got me the gig. but ok, judging by the replies on this thread, I have turned down the offer to warm up. thanks everyone.
    what was your biggest reason for turning down the gig?

It's easy to destroy your reputation before you get one. (in all walks of life)
    Last edited by keithace; 11-18-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I'm not sure I'd have turned down any work playing out before being huge tbh. How hard can it be to find 15 techno tracks that's don't blow the roof off but are still great?

if it was me i'd have mixed some of my own tracks with other tracks. i don't see the point in only playing my own stuff.

edit: unless theyre only there to here you and youre playing live ofc
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    I'm not sure I'd have turned down any work playing out before being huge tbh. How hard can it be to find 15 techno tracks that's don't blow the roof off but are still great?
    Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    what was your biggest reason for turning down the gig?

It's easy to destroy your reputation before you get one. (in all walks of life)
    Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    if it was me i'd have mixed some of my own tracks with other tracks. i don't see the point in only playing my own stuff.

edit: unless theyre only there to here you and youre playing live ofc
    the way i setup my ableton project is almost a live show. the tracks i produced are split into many clips with separate "b-side"/"c-side" clips so I can take some of the songs in a different direction if needed. lots of effects are wired up to specific songs as well.

i wasn't sure what to do if i shelved that project and mixed 12 techno songs together in ableton live instead. i know that most people probably wouldn't care, but i'm not that type of performer that waits in between songs. i always have to be doing/triggering something.

Bruv. When you are booked to play your original material, play however you feel comfortable. Rock the fuck out of it and have a good time.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    the way i setup my ableton project is almost a live show. the tracks i produced are split into many clips with separate "b-side"/"c-side" clips so I can take some of the songs in a different direction if needed. lots of effects are wired up to specific songs as well.

i wasn't sure what to do if i shelved that project and mixed 12 techno songs together in ableton live instead. i know that most people probably wouldn't care, but i'm not that type of performer that waits in between songs. i always have to be doing/triggering something.
    you couldn't do a hybrid set? Warm up slots are usually an hour and a half to two hours. Sometimes three. Could you have played your own stuff for that long?

A warm up slot is just that. You are expected to keep people engaged without over shadowing the headliner.
    Last edited by keithace; 11-20-2016 at 04:22 PM.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast