I hate DJ's who are all hype
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default I hate DJ's who are all hype

Noticed that a person I knew back in high school (who reminded me of Biff Tannon) has gotten into djing, I looked at his fbook page, which was fairly nice, then I went to go look at the one mix he had posted, it was 730mb!!!! The guy didn't even understand about converting from wav to mp3. I saw some more photos and he has a dinky numark something (no offense meant) but I am willing to be he invested 150 dollars and likely little time to be a dj. People like this make me want to roll up like Nas and proclaim that hip hop is dead.

Anyone else have any stories of people who give djs a bad rep (it seems like there haven't been any threads like this in a while)
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

I heard this guy said, "i'm gonna upgrade all my MP3's to wav's, It sounds so much better"

me "woah, that's gonna take a lot of time and/or money?"

douche "nah I just do 'select all' then click convert to wav.

*facepalm*

Tech Guru

meh. smile politely and focus on your own work. you're not doing yourself any favors getting caught up in resenting other people who have similar interests as you because their approach doesn't live up to your ideals.

i think in general people who hate on djs for whatever reason they hate on djs is just because they don't understand that there's more to it then slamming other peoples music together. it's not anywhere near as complex a craft in comparison to songwriting and audio engineering, so it's easy for people to think that deejays are an inferior variety of performer/musician. the reality is, in many ways it is true that deejays are not up to par with highly skilled songwriters/producers when it comes to their musical chops, i can admit this - we can all use the dose of humility now and then.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 12-02-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Tech Guru

Fun fact: Sasha thought the pitch slider on a SL-1200 was for volume control when he first started. Good times lol

Tech Mentor

I don't let any of that get to me and just do my own thing. Sure I sorta laugh at "DJs" like that, but to me the bottomline is if you're promoting yourself well and achieving your goals as a DJ, more power to you.

This one guy was like
    "I'm awesome and i do this one thing"
    and I was like
    "nuh uh, that's not how you do it!"

Then I lol'd cuz he was doin' it wrong.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    Noticed that a person I knew back in high school (who reminded me of Biff Tannon) has gotten into djing, I looked at his fbook page, which was fairly nice, then I went to go look at the one mix he had posted, it was 730mb!!!! The guy didn't even understand about converting from wav to mp3. I saw some more photos and he has a dinky numark something (no offense meant) but I am willing to be he invested 150 dollars and likely little time to be a dj. People like this make me want to roll up like Nas and proclaim that hip hop is dead.
    I used to consider a lot of us "push button" DJ's big time suckers, back before I was enlightened by DJTT and spun only vinyl(still love vinyl). Who knows, one day that douche could be inventing the next vci arcade edition changing the game. I do wish DJ's still had to pay some sort of dues, like carrying crates for people or saving all year to buy some equipment. Not just have ur pops credit card and...*poof*..."I'm a DJ, check out my YouTube bedroom mix, sure, I'll DJ 6 hours for $50"

I think this is one place where the capitalist principal still prevails.

People still respect experience, knowledge, skill, and talent.

In a night with two acts, people will naturally gravitate to the better act. Let your music do the talking I say! Am I intimidated by all these young people getting into the scene and getting REALLY good really fast? sure. It's taken me over a decade to get to where I am. But I ultimately figure it's a good thing and it drives me to work hard to stay at the top of my game.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by Monika.mhz View Post
    But I ultimately figure it's a good thing and it drives me to work hard to stay at the top of my game.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    meh. smile politely and focus on your own work. you're not doing yourself any favors getting caught up in resenting other people who have similar interests as you because their approach doesn't live up to your ideals.
    Well said.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast