Speaker Recommendations?

Default Speaker Recommendations?

Someone has asked me about speakers for a pub gig.

He's playing off CD's, and will be playing Ska/Reggae/Rosksteady, etc...

Room is not massive - probably playing to 50 or 60 people, but he still wants some VOLUME if possible.

Can anyone recommend 2 speakers on stands? Budget is around £300...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

That budget is REALLY, REALLY difficult to work with. In general,

A used B-52 Matrix-1000 V2 system would likely be the best bet. That is a powered speaker setup that includes two tops and a sub. Given the genre of music, and the likely desire for some low end reinforcement, that is likely the best option. Those systems can be had, in good working order (but with some cosmetic issues), for around $400...in my area.

Also used...the RFC312A sound better than they should for the $. These were around $350/ea new. You may find a used pair inside your budget, inside your area.

For new gear....Behringer has some powered speakers that may be OK options in that price range. The B212D's are around $200 each in my area. B1220 Pro's can be had for $200 on sale. These are OK, but no better than that. This would NOT include stands, and I don't recall what cables are included with the speakers.

Behringer has a bad reputation, and that was totally fair 15 years ago. Today, they are making quite a lot of gear that is good value for money. And in your price range, this is the only "new" option that I would recommend.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

He's looking for something that probably only be used for 4 hours at a time, and only ONCE a month.

What about Alto TX12's?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alto-TX12-W.../dp/B00M3KV5X6
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Tech Guru

I am not familiar with that specific Alto speaker, but in general I have not been impressed with Alto speakers that I have heard. It is all subjective, but when pushed to "7" or beyond, the highs are harsh, and the mid/lows tend to get a bit muddy. That's me, and my ears, and my biases.

At this point, I have more confidence recommending the Behringers I listed at the same price point -- as I have actually heard the Behringers. I have also seen the specific Behringer speakers I mentioned (or the previous gen of the model) installed in "dance studio" and "fitness studio" style applications. The speakers have just worked, and continue to sound reasonable over several years of daily use.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Thanks for the insight - very much appreciated.