Jog wheels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jog wheels

Tech Wizard

Default Jog wheels

I am currently thinking about buying a new midi controller and realised they pretty much all have jog wheels, so i wondered why? I guessed that the intended use is scratching, but my understanding is that digital DJs don't scratch. I do get that they can be mapped to control other things a digital DJ might want such as effects but would it not be a better use of space to have knobs rather than huge jog wheels ?

Jog wheels are for pussies.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Jog can be used for loads of different things. Not necessarily scratch (altough the option's there)
    Can be used for pitch bend, seeking through a track, detailing cue points, using FX (wet/dry) or cycling the strength of the effect.
    There's no exhaustive list.
    There's other controllers..

Just read your comment again, and just re-iterated the obvious duh. I need sleep..
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 12-16-2016 at 08:01 AM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Its all personal preference. I like having jogs but I know a lot of guys that have no need for jogs. Don't let the title "digital dj" dictate what you can and can't do behind the decks. I think its great that we have options for just about every style, need, and want in controllers these days.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

I mean, the biggest explanation is probably just because DJing started with two turntables so when it started becoming more digital, it was meant to on some level, capture the feeling.

Personally I like using jogs to cue up tracks and to use to correctly beat match but I totally understand why there are people who don't use those for that. I had a buddy who mapped his jogs on an S2 for FX though and he seemed fine with that.

I prefer touch strips over jog wheels. They simply take up too much real estate. I can still scratch on my turntables with both vinyl and DVS.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

It all depends on which DJ software you're using and how strong is the mapping interface in it. In Traktor's example, you can map a modifier button with a couple of control states that can allow your jog wheel to do many different things.

If you map one 'toggle' type modifier button you can assign jog to pitchbend while the modifier button is disabled and than maybe have control over your effects with this modifier enabled.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for all that info. Was just making sure there wasn't any huge benefits I was missing out on.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    I prefer touch strips over jog wheels. They simply take up too much real estate. I can still scratch on my turntables with both vinyl and DVS.
    so, you're a proud owner of a Traktor Kontrol S8 I guess

Tech Guru

Personally I wouldn't be without jog wheels, just the way I'm used to DJing, having grown up with TTs. It's one of the reasons I've switched to the DDJ-RZ instead of staying with Traktor controllers (yes, looking at you S5/S8!), the big, full sized jogs.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast