Newcomer advice

Thread: Newcomer advice

Default Newcomer advice

I am getting confused re options for my setup.

I have done some dj'ing many years ago when it required a mixer and two technics decks but now with digital added there is a plethora of possibilities and getting frustrated.

I still have my technics decks and at home want to be able to use vinyl in addition to digital.

I want to also mix digital from my iTunes collection

I want to refresh on my beat matching skills but am also open to synch in certain instances.

When I dj at a venue for parties or self promoted nights I realise that the venue will likely have either a Pioneer djm mixer like the 800 and CDs or they will have a xone 92 or nexus.

I considered all in one s8 which would be easy setup for digital and vinyl at home but I have concerns about everything in one basket and maybe modular would be best with maybe an X1 and a mixer and soundcard.

One concern is if using an X1 or s8 I would be going down a synch path which although I realise people who have been dj'ing for 20 years think is cheating but I don't have that concern but if I then dj in a venue that kit may not be available and I would be faced with Cdjs and mixer where I would need to be able to manually beat match. Although if I had an X1 I would be able to plug it into their mixer with my MacBook Pro.

Another concern is re mixer if I get a modular setup with maybe an analog mixer, soundcard, x1 and I want to be creative with FX and filters etc but if I then am faced with a pioneer nexus with huge functionality at a venue I won't understand its functions and will have had no experience on it until the night. In reverse if I splashed out on a mixer with lots of this functionality at home and I hit a venue that had a basic analog mixer then I would miss the functionality that I am used to at home.

I was thinking of xone 92, x1 and soundcard. Then I read that new pioneer nexus models have resolved some of the sound quality complaints and fx issues and that they may become club standard kit.

Or if I go cheaper like a djm 450 with x1 will I still be faced with the concerns above when I get to a venue that has a djm 850 and Cdjs.

Confused so any advice would be welcome please.

Thanks

Mike

I'd say go for the xone 92, the sound quality is far better than the djms. you also get 2 auxiliary channels. overall i think the xone 92 is the better option. being analogue it will complement vinyl well.

Tech Mentor

I started with 1210's + mixer too, and have been through a variety of gear to get to where I am now. I still have the 1210's.

I originally "upgraded" to the Pioneer CDJ350 package, so CDJ's + DJM 350. I then upgraded the mixer to the DJM 800. I then sold the 350 package and the DJM 800 and went with an Allen & Heath DB4, running Traktor Scratch through the on-board A&H soundcard and the 1210's.

I have since added from here with originally a Reloop Contour controller, for keeping me off the PC. I then midi mapped the DB4, so it does the basic transport functions I need, plus browsing, loading tracks etc... I then added a couple NI F1's, mostly for STEMS, but can be used for other functions too.

Overall, I prefer to have a modular set-up. Probably just because I'm old school, but it has allowed me the flexibility to change things around, and try other things out. I might add a DDJ RB shortly, just for better transport controls, and Rekordbox integration (in the unlikely event I actually get asked to play somewhere, lol). But overall, I'm reasonably happy where I am, although I would prefer a set-up where I can completely dith the PC, and still play digital music. But I don't fancy spending £2k+ on CDJ900's, or XDJ1000's, which is the minimum I'd consider after the toys that were the CDJ 350's.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Default Modular

The other concen I have re having a mixer with inbuilt sound card is longevity and compatibility when o/s versions change. I already came across this with traktor audio 2 which became a brick when Apple upgraded. With a separate sound card it is easy enough to upgrade but with an inbuilt one suddenly have the functionality of the mixer doesn't work.

Tech Convert

I think X1 with soundcard is the way to go and then buy a mixer based on your budget and personal preference. With this set up, whenever you play out you can bring your X1, soundcard and laptop along and plug into any mixer that is provided to you and you will still have your Traktor FX to work with and the only thing you have to worry about is working the EQs on the mixer