Unable to map Twister in Ableton/curious about Auto Mapping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unable to map Twister in Ableton/curious about Auto Mapping

I am attempting to map my Twister to control Ableton's FX sends along with various synth and FX parameters. I used the Twister Utility software to upload the standard Twister template to the controller, but no matter what I do I cannot map it. It's as though Ableton doesn't recognize it or vice-versa. The utility recognizes it, and I believe I've set the input and outputs in Ableton's preferences in the way they should be (I'm currently at work and can't check it right now).

Secondly, are there are ways I can get the Twister to automap to key device and FX parameters?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Did you try the Send Storm? It's remote script that I use for Twister with Ableton and it's perfect.

Also do you use a mac or PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Did you try the Send Storm? It's remote script that I use for Twister with Ableton and it's perfect.

Also do you use a mac or PC?
    PC. And the script looks promising, but would I still have the three extra "pages" available for other uses?

Quote Originally Posted by TheColorArmy View Post
    PC. And the script looks promising, but would I still have the three extra "pages" available for other uses?
    On PC you have to ensure not to run the Midifighter Utility at a same time with Live because when one of applications engages the MIDI port it can't be shared with any of other MIDI supported apps at a same time. Unlike a PC on a Mac we do not have this limitation.

Send Storm maps only your first bank so yeah you could user map other three pages to what ever you wish. In case you didn't find the MFS file in the SendStorm download package you can download it from here: sendStorm1.2.zip

On PC you have to ensure not to run the Midifighter Utility at a same time with Live because when one of applications engages the MIDI port it can't be shared with any of other MIDI supported apps at a same time. Unlike a PC on a Mac we do not have this limitation.

Send Storm maps only your first bank so yeah you could user map other three pages to what ever you wish. In case you didn't find the MFS file in the SendStorm download package you can download it from here: sendStorm1.2.zip
    I was able to download the script and upload it to Twister using the utility, the Twister successfully lights up, but I still can't get it to work within Ableton. For whatever reason the Twister still doesn't seem to be able to communicate with Ableton.

For "control surface" in the MIDI Preferences tab, I am unable to find the Twister, but I am able to for the Input and Output options. I also have "Track" and "Remote" selected for the inputs and outputs.

I was able to download the script and upload it to Twister using the utility, the Twister successfully lights up, but I still can't get it to work within Ableton. For whatever reason the Twister still doesn't seem to be able to communicate with Ableton.

For "control surface" in the MIDI Preferences tab, I am unable to find the Twister, but I am able to for the Input and Output options. I also have "Track" and "Remote" selected for the inputs and outputs.
    Did you move your Twister script in to the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder in Ableton?

Did you move your Twister script in to the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder in Ableton?
    I copied the .mfs file from the SendStorm download folder into C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Suite\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\MIDI Fighter Twister, but it still doesn't show up under the "Control Surface" column under the "link MIDI" screen within Ableton. Again, the Twister lights up as it should but it doesn't get seen by Ableton.

I copied the .mfs file from the SendStorm download folder into C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9 Suite\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\MIDI Fighter Twister
    The .MFS stands for "Midi Fighter Settings" and that file should be imported in to the MF Utility (not Ableton)

To install new settings you can click on 'file' than 'import' and then navigate to where you have the .mfs file saved on tour hard drive. In final step click on "Save to Midifighter" to store your new settings in the midifighter firmware.

It's strange that the Utility does receive MIDI from Twister and Ableton can not... Did you try using some other computer so far?

The .MFS stands for "Midi Fighter Settings" and that file should be imported in to the MF Utility (not Ableton)

To install new settings you can click on 'file' than 'import' and then navigate to where you have the .mfs file saved on tour hard drive. In final step click on "Save to Midifighter" to store your new settings in the midifighter firmware.

It's strange that the Utility does receive MIDI from Twister and Ableton can not... Did you try using some other computer so far?
    Unfortunately I don't have another computer to test it on.

I also downloaded SendStorm from your website, should I copy all of the .py files from the download folder into the MIDI Remote Scripts folder? Would that solve the issue?

Unfortunately I don't have another computer to test it on.

I also downloaded SendStorm from your website, should I copy all of the .py files from the download folder into the MIDI Remote Scripts folder? Would that solve the issue?
    Actually, you should grab entire sand storm folder with .py files and drag and drop it in to the Remote Scripts folder so Ableton can recognize it later on as a MIDI device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast