DMX vs Sound-activated Lighting for Dancefloor - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You don't need to see the software. It can run In the background with a midi controller

We use the ADJ dmx2 usb interface on windows Pc. Most lighting fixtures are available in the library to just drag and drop into your lighting universe.
    Once you have your fixtures assigned by the software it is a simple matter to programme and label the scenes as required. It will also run sound to light. There is also a facility for auto fade up / down between or at the end of scenes.
    As in previous posts we use preset colour scenes for weddings and have a variety of dancefloor mood scenes depending on the music being played. The scenes can be pre ordered to match the playlist so a single tap in the 'Live' window will move to next scene. (The same scene can be added multiple times). You could also have save the lighting scene in a MP3 tag for future reference.

Tech Wizard

I had looked at the MyDMX or Chauvet ShowXpress and thought long and hard about them. Asked for advice from a number of people in multiple markets (I stage manage at a local theatre, so asked many lighting designers and directors) and the overall advice I got was get a board first to learn on and get comfortable with so you understand all the basics, then you can move to computer, if you want. The Operator was less expensive and didn't require additional software to be running in the background and flipping between them or a second computer (would be my preferred method.) Other then the Swarm Wash, which can be run in a 2 channel mode but with less control, every other fixture is well within the 16 channels available. Now if only the Scorpion Text was DMX...grrrr. Hind sight is 20/20. Won't buy anything without DMX again.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by papagrime View Post
    We use the ADJ dmx2 usb interface on windows Pc. (The same scene can be added multiple times). You could also have save the lighting scene in a MP3 tag for future reference.
    The company I work with have just started using this, and I've been given the job of setting up the scenes, which I'm getting on with. That idea of saving the light scene in a MP3 Tag is a superb idea!! I'm gonna use that..
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Guru

Ahh, I didn't think about a MIDI controller, could have just hooked up my Push to control.

Oh well, a lot of the DMX Usb interfaces are outside of my price range, and I wasn't sure how good the cheap knock offs were whereas I know the ADJ Operator is a solid piece of hardware.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Guru

So I've got the lights set up pretty well now with scenes and chases, but I'm having an issue with the lights syncing up on basic color flashes.

I have two colorstrips connected in DMX on different addresses with each of the two having a slave following it. For some reason, the two pairs of colorstrips do not flash simultaneously. Rather, one pair will flash followed by the second pair. Also, the 2nd pair of colorstrips are not extending and simply duplicating.

Now, I think the problem might be because I have one colorstrip with a slave out and a DMX out to another colorstrip. However, I don't see how I'm supposed to route these otherwise.

1 -> Slave DMX to Slave 1
    1 -> DMX out to 2
    2 - > Slave DMX to Slave 2

2 and Slave 2 extend properly. 1 and Slave 1 duplicate.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

I have never tried using a slave on a DMX chain, but, initial thoughts are....what length are your DMX cables? And, if you are slaving them, could you try setting 2 fixtures to the same address? I have though about trying that because the uplights behind the booth are always the same color or always sound activated right now, so could use 1 address. Just never tried it or looked it up. But, I have been told anywhere over 100ft of cable should have a terminator on the end DMX unit. Apparently it is good practice either way... I am still fairly new at DMX, but those were my thoughts.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
    If you are slaving them, could you try setting 2 fixtures to the same address? I have though about trying that because the uplights behind the booth are always the same color or always sound activated right now, so could use 1 address.
    This will absolutely work. I have either 2 or 4 uplighters connected to my DMX system depending on the size of the room, but they all have the same dmx address and do the same thing. If you wanted all 4 colorstrips to do the same, set them all to the same address. Or if you wanted 2 pairs, set 1 and slave 1 to the same address, and then 2 and slave 2 to a different address.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Guru

I tried setting them to the same address, and then the top pair of lights were out of sync as well which really confused me. It seems as if there's some sort of lag?

I wanted to use the slave because I wanted to extend the strips rather than just duplicate (it treats the two lights as one long light).

Tech Wizard

Not sure about the strips, as I have never used them, but do you have a terminator? Might possibly help....but not sure.
    Shawn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast