Sound glitch with Instant Gratification mapping for Twister

Default Sound glitch with Instant Gratification mapping for Twister

Hey guys! So I just got the Twister for xmas and the Instant Gratification Mapping was the first thing I wanted to try. The Twister is updated and working fine but everytime I activate an FX I get this weird stutter in the sound... like a small buzz. It lasts only a second but it comes out throught the the headphones and main speakers.

Weirdest part is that if I record the session the hitches aren't present there; only on the speakers and headphones (audio outputs)

Any idea what could be causing this?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

This problem is caused by a command which this mapping used called "Send Monitor State" who's job is basically update the LEDs on all devices when you press or release certain buttons and making sure all lighting is in sync. Depending on your computer's processing power this can lead to the audible stutters you mention since it's basically Traktor not being able to keep up and prioritizes the LED update rather than audio.

Currently there are two ways around it until NI fixes the CPU consumption of this command again (it's a problem that comes and goes depending on the version of Traktor you run) which are as follow.

1. You can try rising the latency for in the audio preferences, by having a bigger latency this means that there will be a slightly larger delay between you using a control and it being audible in Traktor (like rising a volume fader) but it gives the program enough time to finish all processes without any audio glitches.
    2. Should the first option not be enough for you this modified version of the Twisted Gratification mapping stripped of this command. LEDs should still work for the most part but it's possible one of the LEDs might fall out of sync. Still, it's perfectly useable.

We do our best to keep our mappings CPU economical but sometimes we need the extra raw power to ensure that a great mapping does it best but as you can see this can sometimes introduce a few issues caused by Traktor bugs.

Hey Padi, Gracias por la info y la versión modificada!

Over the week I realized it must be a latency issue. I used the largest numbers and it helped a bit, tho' I still get cracks and a latency of 30ms. I've also gone through a bunch of websites with "tips to improve latency on your audio computer", but nothing worth mentioning since the problem is still present.
    It is weird since my laptop is an HP with 16 GB RAM, good processor, etc. but I guess that is never a guarantee.

I will try the modified version of the mapping as soon as I get home and report on it. Thank you very much for your help. Hopefully it'll solve it.

That modified file did the trick!! Cracks are gone and I could even bring doy my latency to 512 samples and 2ms!!

Just to understad... the problem was with the midifighter utility file or the traktor mapping one? I want to start doing my own mapping and would like to avoid what causes the sound glitches.

Thanks again! You guys rock!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

The problem was with the Send Modifier State command used in the mapping that honestly shouldn't be causing this problem, it's an old bug re-introduced in more recent versions of Traktor.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

This kind of pops and clicks in the audio can also be related to bad or corrupted Traktor Settings. The setting file is located in your documents/native instruments/traktor folder you can (with Traktor closed) go ahead and create a backup of this file and then delete it from the computer. Now if you open Traktor again the setup wizard will pop up just like when you're installing Traktor for the first time and once you complete the setup process you will have fresh new settings in your Traktor.

I do this every week or so to my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    This kind of pops and clicks in the audio can also be related to bad or corrupted Traktor Settings. The setting file is located in your documents/native instruments/traktor folder you can (with Traktor closed) go ahead and create a backup of this file and then delete it from the computer. Now if you open Traktor again the setup wizard will pop up just like when you're installing Traktor for the first time and once you complete the setup process you will have fresh new settings in your Traktor.

I do this every week or so to my PC.
    This is great advice in general. I delete my settings.tsi file maybe on a monthly or 2 monthly basis.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

I have just been testing the newer DJTT mapping with the mentioned command removed, and this works amazing now with zero glitches. TBH i stopped using the first version as i was getting glitches with it, even with my beast system
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "