Looking to get into the DJ game

Default Looking to get into the DJ game

Hello all,

Newbie posting for the first time and did some searching prior to asking. My Goals is to eventually do gigs / do battle DJ'ing..I think.. i want to do both but i'd probably end up doing more Club DJ down the road with that said hopefully that will help some of you Guide me. I love listening to music and love the idea of doing this as a full time hobby, and have already taken DJ classes to see if it is something i wanted to do and its a YES with some dedicated perseverance to get my skill level up.

1) Turn table wise i think i'm settled on buying Audio Technica AT-LP1240, unless you guys can make a case for Stanton ST-150, which reviews seem to be all good but are heavy AF, If i'm doing gigs down the road having to carry all that will probably leave me wondering why i didn't go with something lighter, also on the consideration list was the reloop 6000/7000. i'm assuming either of those 3 will work perfectly for scratching/general mixing

2) Mixers- this one i'm still having trouble with, i was hoping a $500-600 budget would be enough but not sure or i'm just ill informed. I know i want a 2 channel mixer and thought the "Pioneer DJ DJM-350 2-Channel DJ Performance Mixer" would work but how would that work with Serato?

if i have to spend extra to get it to work, i was thinking i might as well get the Rane Sixty-One. its seems with mixers its either go big or go home. sorry if i'm not using the right terminology yet

Stanton/Reloop are a better option for scratching but also a more expensive one. But yes, either will work good enough.

One thing is - club dj'ing will be +90% using CDJ's, not turntables (depending on the clubs in your area, where I'm from I haven't seen a set of TT's in a club for a few years). If you want to have a home setup where you can learn to scratch that's ok, but better have a option to easily switch your set to Rekordbox (CDJ's) if you want to do club gigs.

If you want to use software for your mixing (DVS would be the terminology) and you have decided on SeratoDJ you will need a audio interface that's certified for your software. They come either as a standalone interfaces that can be plugged into any mixer (Rane SL or Denon DS interface) or as mixers with integrated interfaces (ones that SeratoDJ supports are ridiculously expensive, there isn't one new under a 1000$ - Mixars Duo, Rane has several models) or even as controllers that can do DVS (Pioneer SX2, SZ, Denon MCX8000, MC7000, MC6000mk2, Akai AMX,...)

Tell us what's your overall budget and we'll help (and by that I mean 20 people will post 20 different setups haha ). I personally would go with best TT I can get (Technics) and then see what I can do with the rest of the money. Cheapest option would then be a second-hand Rane SL1 interface with Serato Scratch Live (SSL) software and a 2ch cheap scratch-friendly mixer (DIF-1s, DJM-707, or Rane 56..). That way you can later change either the interface (for a one that supports SeratoDJ software) or the mixer (or both, for some of the high end models like DJM-S9 or Rane ones that have integrated interfaces, midi controls and support SeratoDJ).
    Last edited by SlayForMoney; 12-27-2016 at 03:51 AM.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Stanton/Reloop are a better option for scratching but also a more expensive one. But yes, either will work good enough.

One thing is - club dj'ing will be +90% using CDJ's, not turntables (depending on the clubs in your area, where I'm from I haven't seen a set of TT's in a club for a few years). If you want to have a home setup where you can learn to scratch that's ok, but better have a option to easily switch your set to Rekordbox (CDJ's) if you want to do club gigs.

If you want to use software for your mixing (DVS would be the terminology) and you have decided on SeratoDJ you will need a audio interface that's certified for your software. They come either as a standalone interfaces that can be plugged into any mixer (Rane SL or Denon DS interface) or as mixers with integrated interfaces (ones that SeratoDJ supports are ridiculously expensive, there isn't one new under a 1000$ - Mixars Duo, Rane has several models) or even as controllers that can do DVS (Pioneer SX2, SZ, Denon MCX8000, MC7000, MC6000mk2, Akai AMX,...)

Tell us what's your overall budget and we'll help (and by that I mean 20 people will post 20 different setups haha ). I personally would go with best TT I can get (Technics) and then see what I can do with the rest of the money. Cheapest option would then be a second-hand Rane SL1 interface with Serato Scratch Live (SSL) software and a 2ch cheap scratch-friendly mixer (DIF-1s, DJM-707, or Rane 56..). That way you can later change either the interface (for a one that supports SeratoDJ software) or the mixer (or both, for some of the high end models like DJM-S9 or Rane ones that have integrated interfaces, midi controls and support SeratoDJ).
    I originally thought $1500 would be enough but I'm willing to spend $2000 for an initial investment. From what I've been told learning on turntables then moving to CDJs shouldn't be to much of of an issue.

From a mixer standpoint I like the Mixar Duo and Rane 61 both are close in price. But as far as future proof would I max out the potential either or in a year? Either of those with reliability issues or do they both lack features. I'm not educated enough to say what features I'll neeed until I get knee deep into it

Also any opinions buying a used RANE sixty two or Sixty 8 with coverage for 2 years for any repairs?