NAMM 2017 and the S4
    Tech Convert

Default NAMM 2017 and the S4

As a long time user of the S4, I was curious if anyone has heard any rumors of a S4 MK3 getting released this year. With all the the new pioneer units getting released over the past 2 years I feel like they're due. Thoughts?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

It's possible but nothing I've heard so far. With NI focusing more on the "future of DJing" they don't seem all that much interested in it tho.

What would you like to see in an updated S4 that would justify a mk3 model?

I think we will be more likely to see an updated version of the S8, but with the current feature set, a major hardware update isn't warranted at this time.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    It's possible but nothing I've heard so far. With NI focusing more on the "future of DJing" they don't seem all that much interested in it tho.

Possibly bigger jog wheels and a more robust design with larger hot cue pads. I keep reading that NI is aiming to go away with the jog wheels but that is a huge piece of the DJ market share and from a business standpoint i cant see them letting go of it 100%.

The workflow that is capable with the s4 is absolutely unbelievable ( in a good way). I guess a part of me just hopes that they will continue to support and update this amazing product so i wont be forced to get a DDJ product.

Default Standalone/Display Screen

Quote Originally Posted by baronen2 View Post
    Possibly bigger jog wheels and a more robust design with larger hot cue pads. I keep reading that NI is aiming to go away with the jog wheels but that is a huge piece of the DJ market share and from a business standpoint i cant see them letting go of it 100%.

The workflow that is capable with the s4 is absolutely unbelievable ( in a good way). I guess a part of me just hopes that they will continue to support and update this amazing product so i wont be forced to get a DDJ product.
    i'd like to see a Traktor controller go in the way like the Pioneer DDJ - RZX or Denon MCX 8000, controllers with bigger(inbetween sized) platters and display screens, if it can be done stand alone, it'd be super great!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by roxysnonie View Post
    i'd like to see a Traktor controller go in the way like the Pioneer DDJ - RZX or Denon MCX 8000, controllers with bigger(inbetween sized) platters and display screens, if it can be done stand alone, it'd be super great!
    Couldn't agree more!

Even a ddj - RX/SX type controller custom to fit traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    I think we will be more likely to see an updated version of the S8
    I'm curious what you would like to see in an updated version? The S8 already supports almost every Traktor feature, so they would have to add some new features to warrant an update. Unless it's a proper standalone controller as mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post

I'd prefer to see a major software update better than another new piece of hardware. I have a little hope they make the announcement in NAMM 2017, but i've heard that NI is more to release things at its own shows.

Anyway, i'd like a more solid build of the s4, xlr output as well as a monitor line out and bigger pads.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    I'm curious what you would like to see in an updated version? The S8 already supports almost every Traktor feature, so they would have to add some new features to warrant an update. Unless it's a proper standalone controller as mentioned above.
    A version where the decks aren't mirrored. This was the only reason I bought two standalone D2's instead of an S8.

Larger screen. In depth modification of what can be displayed (especially during browsing). I would kill to have comment, genre, and label displayed on screen when searching for tunes.

16 pads instead of 8.

A 5th dedicated FX processor in the software with an assignable chain on the mixer section (similar to the djm).

Innofader compatibility.

Record Output

Channel Fader Curve Adjust

Cross Fader Curve Adjust and Assignment moved to the top of the unit.

WIth 16 pads, being able to split cue points for decks A/C and B/D between the top and bottom of each set of 8.

In Stems mode: Knobs above faders used to control level of stems parts on track below (ie: Deck C while Deck A is in focus) allowing for 8 track multi track stems.

Shift Button moved closer to display. It's next to impossible to fine adjust tempo with one hand.

Seperate gain and EQ control for mic inputs.

Gain knobs directly above eq's (like every standard mixer).

I'm sure I will think of more later.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

I think NI don't go to the NAMM, do they?