EV DCOne or Driverack PA2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default EV DCOne or Driverack PA2

Hey guy's, I'm looking for some input on the EV DC one speaker management unit.
    I am currently using a Drive rack PA2
    My system
    2- EV T252+ double tops ( I have a total of 4 T252+ tops)
    2- EV MTL1X subs (I'm looking for another pair of MTL's)
    2- EV Q1212 amps (I've ordered a third Q1212)
    2- EV Eliminator double tops
    1-EV Eliminator amp (= to the Q66)
    The PA 2 was an upgrade over the basic x-over I was using.
    I do like it and it has a lot of useful features.
    However I want to make my system all EV.
    Anyone have experience with both the PA2 and the DC one.
    My pet peeve is good sound quality.
    What are the pro's and con's of both units?
    I do like the RTA on the PA 2 and as far as I can tell, the DC one does not have that feature.
    Not that it's that important to have a RTA but I would like opinions on using a RTA. Do you use it and does it improve your overall mix.
    Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by sb47; 01-03-2017 at 12:41 AM.

I would just stick with the DBX. It is working for you currently and it also has a lot of features including room EQ(which some quality oriented sound engineers do before every gig). DBX is a good brand, I have their feedback destroyer but haven't really used it since I now manually ring out my monitors and stuff. I still use it with live lift in case I miss a frequency or change a mic on the fly.

I have noticed a lot of fellow engineers now stopped using speaker processors since they moved to digital mixers with iPad control.

Tech Convert

Thanks for your input.
    The DBX has fx that I don't really use like the compressor, ALS, limiter or the sonic synth.
    I basically only use it for the x-over and eq sections. I do sometimes use the RTA as well.
    The EV is pricey as well at almost a grand.
    The DCone is a more cosmetically pleasing unit and I do like the unit being so deep that connections are easier.
    So far I haven't seen any features or sound quality that would being me to drop the cash for it.
    The DBX is a good unit and is working well in my set up.
    I would love to hear a DCone in action though.

Well if you ever rent out your system I would look at using the compressor and limiter. I have done some PA rentals for a promoter and the tech at the venue(who I was forced to work with) clearly doesn't know about gain staging and proper metering. If it wasn't for me setting a main limit on the venues FOH mixer and for the built in limiters in my speakers they may have been blown by now.

If you are having a difficult time hooking up your conections you may want to get an empty patch bay and install some XLR ports that are hookedup to the PA2. I currently run a Mackie DL32r and a DBX AFS 2, which are both housed in a 6U odyssey amp rack. The DL32r is pretty deep with all of its audio connections on the front, while the AFS 2 is very shallow with audio connections on the back. I have the DL32r mounted at the top with a 1U space opening below, then the AFS 2 with a 1U blank plate below that. I then made short color coded XLR cables running from the DL32r front, through the opening below it and into the AFS 2. Then on the back of the rack I installed a 2U patchbay plate where I installed a 1 powercon in, 3 powercon out, and 4 color coded XLR ports. 2 of the XLR ports are wired to the back of my AFS 2. That way I don't have to reach into my rack to make connections. Also the powercon in is hard wired to a surgeprotector. That way when I hook up the powercon cable and plug it in, all my stuff powers up. If I get time sometime this week I will try and take pictures of it.

Tech Convert

I never rent out my rig without being there to supervise.
    I always run my rig conservatively allowing for plenty of head room and good clean sound.
    I never let my rig run at more then 70% max.
    If I need more db's i will ad more amps and speakers.
    I do sometimes run my limiter if mic's are being used, in case they get dropped or something.
    I stopped running sound for bands and I'm just doing some DJ stuff from time to time.
    I simply leave a space above and below the DBX and that makes it easier to get to for hook ups.
    I don't really need to make changes with my hook ups, so thats not a big deal.
    The only benefit there might be with the EV is sound quality, but I would have to hear it to know if its any better.
    Like I said, so far I haven't seen anything that would make me spend the money on the EV.
    Thats why I'm asking for opinions.
    Thanks for the input.

Yeah looking at the white sheets they both use 24-bit 48kHz for the ADC and DAC with 32-bit floating point processing which is really awesome.

The only thing I do notice is the DCOne has a wider frequency response(10Hz-22kHz) as compared to DBX's (20Hz-20kHz) but not many speakers can put out those extra frequencies that the DCOne can put out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two sound very similar when set with a flat EQ.

Tech Convert

lol...... I can't hear anything above 17000 kHz anyway. Old age and too much exposure to laud sound took care of that.
    The T252+ speakers roll off at 19000 kHz pretty sharply anyway. I'm very happy with my set up so far.

Last edited by sb47; 01-07-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Yeah I have only been in the PA game for a little over 2 years now. I keep 3 pairs of ear plugs stashed away in multiple bags. I will say I love the EV gear that I have and hope to expand in the next few months.

Tech Convert

I've been having great luck with buying used gear from Guitar Center.
    I picked up a pair of near mint T252+ for 700 bucks shipped to my door with no shipping.
    30 days to return with a full refund is hard to beat.
    I picked up the other pair from another DJ that was upgrading to the QRX line for 600 bucks.
    I picked up 2 DBX 1231's for 99 bucks each from GC. And a used EV Q66 for $179.00 at GC.
    I've been selective when shopping used gear and so far, everything has worked great and I've had zero issues with anything so far.
    Oh yeah, I bought 2 Pioneer DJM 5000's for 400 bucks each from GC as well.
    You have to keep checking there used site for good deals and take your time and wait till something good comes along.
    GC wanted too much for the Q1212's so I got them from an online dealer. They were new but at $850. each they were a good deal.

Tech Convert

2 EV T252+ ($700 a pair) used 800 watts x 2
    2 EV MTL1x ($1,500 a pair) new 1200 watts x 2
    2 EV Q1212 ($850.) new 1200 watts x 4
    1 Pioneer DJM 5000 ($400) used
    1 DBX 1231 ($99.) used
    1 Monster POR 2500 power conditioner ($175.00) new
    1 DBX PA2 ($350.) new
    1 Neumark CDN 450 ($250.) new
    1 PC clone ($350.)
    1 Monster PRO 3500 power conditioner ($300) new
    1 - 6 ch mini 50' snake ($175.)