Challenge Mapping of DDJ-SX/2 for Serato
    Tech Convert

Cool Challenge Mapping of DDJ-SX/2 for Serato

Would it be a good challenge to modify the MIDI mapping for DDJ-SX/2 or any other Serato compatible controller for that matter to:

Activate the headphone CUE button for the associated deck when a new track is loaded into the deck and simultaneously De-activate the headphone CUE button of all other decks decks if already active?

Last edited by mmediaman; 01-04-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Tech Convert

I may be able to answer this myself. I'm guessing that the Headphone Cue ability on any controller is a hardware function and so not addressable by any MIDI message. Additionally, unlike VirtualDJ, Serato does not have a deck headphone Cue function that could be mapped to a mappable controller button. Somebody keep me honest

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Not just headphone cue mappings, Serato isn't offering us any mixer-related controls... It's a shame.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmediaman View Post
    I'm guessing that the Headphone Cue ability on any controller is a hardware function and so not addressable by any MIDI message.
    Nope, most of them address this via MIDI unless you are working with an external mixing mode. The only controls that tend to be non MIDI are master/headphone/booth volume + Cue Mix. In the case of the SX/SX2 Note C6 on Channels 1-4 is what the headphone cue buttons are assigned to.

Anyway, like Stewie said, not much you can do when Serato isn't allowing you to map mixer controls.
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-05-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    In the case of the SX/SX2 Note C6 on Channels 1-4 is what the headphone cue buttons are assigned to.
    Thanks for the comments guys.

@padi_04, I assume that the Note C6 on Channels 1-4 data is outgoing from the SX/SX2? When you push the headphone cue button on the SX/SX2, what is it that allows the audio routing to the headphone? Is it handled by firmware in the controller or hardware circuitry?

If the SX headphone cue buttons respond to incoming MIDI messages, could the default mapping be hacked to include additional messages amended to the deck load message?

All you'll get by doing that is just turning on the LED, the routing from each deck to the headphone is handled by the software unless the deck is set to external mixing mode. With Serato not having MIDI malleable commands for the headphone cue (or anything else in the mixer) you are out of luck unless you use Traktor instead (might be possible in RB).

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    All you'll get by doing that is just turning on the LED, the routing from each deck to the headphone is handled by the software unless the deck is set to external mixing mode.
    Is it really so padi_04? By software I assume you mean Serato for this case. If so, then wouldn't that mean Serato is sending MIDI messages to the controller to make that happen? External mode would have to mean that the switching and routing is handled entirely by the Controller, as it would in the case when other sources like a CD player is plugged into another channel. So maybe you meant "handled by Controller software/firmware" when the Cue button is pressed?

While in Serato mode the SX/SX2 communicate tightly via HID using a non user accessible mapping and again, if you manage to send a message back to the headphone button it will only light it up since the MIDI is going back to the device (it's only sent to Serato when you press the physical button) and again, since there is no headphone cue command for you to map in Serato it won't work.

The way something like this is done in other software is mapping the load button to both the load into deck and headphone cue command so when you press load it does both.

When a channel in your unit is set to line/phono it completely ignores MIDI and the hardware button controls the unit's routing to the headphone port. While in internal all audio mixing is handled by Serato.

Trust me, if those commands were available you'd see more people hacking their way and using non certified hardware to mix with Serato or repurpose controls on their units to stuff that it "isn't designed to do", like getting 4 deck mixing controls on something like a AMX.

Tech Convert

Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I guess that means we just keep wasting time pushing buttons.