Been out of the game for a while, looking for cartridge advice for 1210's

Default Been out of the game for a while, looking for cartridge advice for 1210's

Hi all, wondering can I get some cartridge recommendations. Want to get back into using vinyl, so going to dust off the 1210's again and leave them in for a service and cleanup, they're around 20 years old at this stage.
    I've always had the very early Stanton 500 v 1 or 2 cartridges on them and just used to replace the needles when needed.

But now I want to get myself a new set of cartridges and needles, it been out of the game for a while and don't k ow what to look out for. I'm not a scratch / hip hop dj, I usually just mix house and techy stuff, so won't be doing much scratching with them, but don't want something jumping all over the place either. I do also use Traktor, so might be using the timecode vinyls the odd time when I'm not using the cd timecodes.

And then, what's the best make to go for? Stanton, Shure, or Ortofon?
    Think I had some Stanton Trackmaster 2's for a while and thought they were ok, no fiddling around screwing cartridges onto headshells and easy to replace the needles too, but don't know if they still make them or if they're any use in terms of sound quality and how others found them when using them.

So in a nutshell, looking for something that doesn't sound too bad and is a decent price. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by stoksyXL; 01-06-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Tech Mentor

Shure Whitelabels

Initial outlay was a little more than I wanted to spend tbh but replacement styli are cheap so now I've had them a few years I've saved money over some of the other choices that made the original shortlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Shure Whitelabels

Initial outlay was a little more than I wanted to spend tbh but replacement styli are cheap so now I've had them a few years I've saved money over some of the other choices that made the original shortlist.

These ones here?
    https://www.amazon.com/Shure-WHLB-Wh.../dp/B0000WOEGY

I was actually looking at them a while ago and they seemed pretty good. So you'd recommend them?

Tech Mentor

Yes

They're not the most detailed cart if you're wanting to archive your vinyl to go digital but for djin they're good value imo when you stack up the audio quality, record wear, cost of the carts and replacement styli, the all in 1 cart n headshell with a metal handle, and coolness of the design against the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Yes

They're not the most detailed cart if you're wanting to archive your vinyl to go digital but for djin they're good value imo when you stack up the audio quality, record wear, cost of the carts and replacement styli, the all in 1 cart n headshell with a metal handle, and coolness of the design against the competition.
    Cheers man, they seem pretty decent, will definitely check them out.

i used various ortofon nightclubs for years. i just sold them though, and started using Shure M447's. Love them!
    Last edited by davekeset; 01-17-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Tech Guru

Shure Whitelabels are good def, recommend. If you also want to archive vinyl, then the Shure M44G is a good bet - I use these on my 1210's for both DJing and digitising vinyl with good results.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

I've ALWAYS used Stanton 505's, and NEVER had any issues with them. Love them.

I came up on a cheap pair of M-447's pre-mounted on Technics headshells which I couldn't pass up on. They're really nice, but, honestly, I don't have a preference between the 505's and the M447's.

Also - Reloop have just released another (rebranded Ortofon) Concord Type Cart...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

the stantons decided to mess with me live on stage. and it was new, never agian.

Id go with m447s
    but I recently got ortofons

both are great but i think the ortofons are much durable, but m447s stylus are easier to get generally

Tech Guru

I'm still using my Ortolan DJ0S concords that I've had for 10+ years
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,