How to make "mixtapes" in ableton?

Default How to make "mixtapes" in ableton?

Hi all, need some help with live 8, I'm trying to make some mixtapes in it, not really dj sets.
    Kind of like a back to mine mix, with various genres and tempos blended together.
    Looking to start off with slower tracks and then gradually increase the tempo as I go on in the mix. I'm not really well up with using ableton, so bear with me. I'd be able to make a basic dj set in it being able to warp a few tracks and setting the master tempo, but I wouldn't know where to start with making a "mixtape" of sorts.

My questions are...
    If I'm using different genres like alternative, rap, rock or whatever, do I still have to warp the tracks?
    And I assume that I'm automating the tempo down the bottom of the screen in ableton as the mix goes along when I want to increase the tempo, that's the way to do it?

So for example, first track is 80bpm, do I warp it and automate the tempo at the bottom and set it to 80bpm and the next track is 84bpm, then I'd just increase the temp bar to 84bpm at the start of the next track and so on?
    And how to do that without it sounding crap, could I add some delay to the end of the last track so the change isn't so sudden? I'm not well up with effects either.
    Some of the transitions I'll actually mix them together and keep them at the same tempo, looping the outfits and intros, but some tracks will just fade into one another and will have slight tempo changes.

Hope I explained this ok.
    Would there be any tutorials on the net showing what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by stoksyXL; 01-08-2017 at 07:02 AM.

You only need to worry about automating the tempo if your tracks are warped.

So, quite simply, for tracks that you actually want to beat-match, warp them, and they will play at your master tempo, and the tempo change along with any tempo automation.

For tracks that you DON'T want to beat-match, just turn warp OFF in the clip properties. So, you could potentially change the master tempo (using automation) during an un-warped track playing, and the new master tempo wouldn't start until your next warped track starts to play in the arrange view.

This is useful if you want to "mix" out of an un-warped section into a warped section (if a spoken sample, or a long sound effect tail is still playing on the un-warped track, for example).

This means that you can have 2 songs playing at totally different tempos at the same time. The un-warped track will play at it's natural, recorded tempo, and the warped track will play at Lives master tempo.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You only need to worry about automating the tempo if your tracks are warped.

So, quite simply, for tracks that you actually want to beat-match, warp them, and they will play at your master tempo, and the tempo change along with any tempo automation.

For tracks that you DON'T want to beat-match, just turn warp OFF in the clip properties. So, you could potentially change the master tempo (using automation) during an un-warped track playing, and the new master tempo wouldn't start until your next warped track starts to play in the arrange view.

This is useful if you want to "mix" out of an un-warped section into a warped section (if a spoken sample, or a long sound effect tail is still playing on the un-warped track, for example).

This means that you can have 2 songs playing at totally different tempos at the same time. The un-warped track will play at it's natural, recorded tempo, and the warped track will play at Lives master tempo.
    Thanks man, going to have a mess around in live when I get the chance.
    I'll probably be back with more questions when I do!
    Last edited by stoksyXL; 01-10-2017 at 07:37 AM.