Trying to use Maschine mk2 and Traktor S5

Unhappy Trying to use Maschine mk2 and Traktor S5

I am aware that NI has a couple articles showing how to

1. Slave Maschine to Traktor for tempo purposes

2. Direct Maschine audio into a Traktor deck.

DJTT was kind enough to offer a great tutorial (better than NI's I would say) but it is based on NI's tutorial that does not seem to work for me.

Half the reason I even went Traktor and not Serato was I assumed that Maschine and Traktor would get along (silly me).

The articles do not seem to be updated for the S5. It's too bad they decided to not use MIDI ports on the S5 (but have them on the cheaper S4??) because that would be a super easy solution to syncing it with the Maschine mk2 I have.

My problem is that neither guide, which I followed very closely, resulted in Maschine being synced or audio sent to a Deck. I'm using windows 8 and am fully aware that I need to set up a virtual MIDI line, which I did. Can't recall the program I used but "vMIDI1" appears in the MIDI I/O of both softwares.

As for running audio to Traktor, it seems like a virtual audio line is needed to do it using the S5 as my soundcard, but I don't know what method would work best for that. Bringing in another soundcard totally defeats the purpose of even having one in the controller in the first place so I'd like to avoid resorting to adding my Scarlett to my setup.

If anyone has experience using the S5 and Maschine mk2 together successfully I'd hugely appreciate the help!!

Where I'm at now - Maschine sends audio out of traktor (thru mains, not thru a deck), and is in slave mode but doesn't respond to Traktor's clock.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

No need to fiddle with MIDI Clock settings since now both support Ableton Link, basically just click on that on both programs and away you go.

You can plug a AUX to RCA cable from the headphone out of your computer into the AUX input on the back of the S5, I know they allow inputs to be re-routed into a deck on most of their devices but not 100% sure if the S5 allows it.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    No need to fiddle with MIDI Clock settings since now both support Ableton Link, basically just click on that on both programs and away you go.

You can plug a AUX to RCA cable from the headphone out of your computer into the AUX input on the back of the S5, I know they allow inputs to be re-routed into a deck on most of their devices but not 100% sure if the S5 allows it.
    Yup discovered the link feature 5 minutes after posting this haha.

As for the audio, I'd have to buy a cable to do that and then what, run Maschine out of the headphone output while Traktors going out it's mains? Seems like asking for trouble. But theoretically that should work so I'll keep it in mind if nothing else does it.

Thank goodness they came out with the link feature though, it got me going pretty quick and the tempo syncing is much more important than maschine going into a deck and not the main output for now. Now if they could just have link let you rewire audio internally... then I'd be golden.

Thanks for your reply!

It should be no different than having a dedicated external audio interface for Maschine in that regard or plugging in a phone to the AUX input on the S5.

I get what you are saying and how to use the RCA ins on the S5, but my concern is that sending audio out of the Maschine to the headphone port on the same computer that's also outputting audio through the S5 could cause stability issues.

2 softwares with 2 different outputs to 2 different devices on 1 computer, maybe I'm just paranoid but I suspect the computer won't like that. So if I could do it internally I'd only be using 1 audio device, which is probably better. But I am just guessing.

If you are doing it internally it will be outputting straight to the S5's master out. There are some digital audio routing options you can use but that are not only much more resource intensive but a LOT more unstable compared to using the approach I recommended.

Any computer that fits the recommended specs for Traktor and Maschine should be able to tackle it comfortably.

Default unblocked game

Your posting is very useful. unblocked game will love it
    Last edited by Notinumi8; 09-05-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    If you are doing it internally it will be outputting straight to the S5's master out. There are some digital audio routing options you can use but that are not only much more resource intensive but a LOT more unstable compared to using the approach I recommended.

Any computer that fits the recommended specs for Traktor and Maschine should be able to tackle it comfortably.

So you wouldn't recommend the method of using something like soundflower to route the audio from Maschine to Traktor?
    Running: MB Pro quad 2.8, 4gigs ram, Traktor Pro with latest update, S4, F1(may return in favor of coming m3dpro!

It's useable, but not the most reliable approach in my experience. Test it for quite a few hours before you come anywhere near a stage.