Your DAW of choice 2017 - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BenV View Post
    Coming from using the full version of Cubase for almost ten years, I'm going to recommend Ableton. If you make electronic music it's a hands down win, really.

Made the switch in 2015 and haven't looked back. Just way more stable, and geared toward electronic and warping.
    Out of curiosity, what stability issues were you having with Cubase? I've thrown a ton of crap at every version and never had any issues.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Out of curiosity, what stability issues were you having with Cubase? I've thrown a ton of crap at every version and never had any issues.
    I had a lot of sudden crashes, and also issues with vst:s "decoupling" themselves (not sounding out the way they should even though everything was configured fine) on occasion which could only be solved by restarting. I also had issues with mixer options not loading correctly if I had saved the project before a crash.

I own the full version (Cubase 8, at the time I made the switch) so it's not a pirating issue. Super powerful DAW and I love a lot of the plugins (Padshop, Prolouge, great saturators and channel strip as well). But in 2015 I started performing live with a band and quickly realised I could no longer rely on Cubase for that purpose.

EDIT:
    I use a Mac, so it might be related to the operating system.

I had a lot of sudden crashes, and also issues with vst:s "decoupling" themselves (not sounding out the way they should even though everything was configured fine) on occasion which could only be solved by restarting. I also had issues with mixer options not loading correctly if I had saved the project before a crash.

I own the full version (Cubase 8, at the time I made the switch) so it's not a pirating issue. Super powerful DAW and I love a lot of the plugins (Padshop, Prolouge, great saturators and channel strip as well). But in 2015 I started performing live with a band and quickly realised I could no longer rely on Cubase for that purpose.

EDIT:
    I use a Mac, so it might be related to the operating system.
    Damn. Ive never used on MAC, but have been using Cubase since I was in High School. That's why I was curious.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Damn. Ive never used on MAC, but have been using Cubase since I was in High School. That's why I was curious.
    Yeah, high school was how I got into it as well. I did have less problems with it back when I was running PC however.

I think the instability might in part be due to the plugins I run. Loads and loads of instances of 3rd party synths and plugins (a lot of NI), which can sometimes even make Ableton crash. So it might also be related to my method of working. Whenever I play live using a DAW I try to slim the channels down as much as possible in order to avoid such issues.

Yeah, high school was how I got into it as well. I did have less problems with it back when I was running PC however.

I think the instability might in part be due to the plugins I run. Loads and loads of instances of 3rd party synths and plugins (a lot of NI), which can sometimes even make Ableton crash. So it might also be related to my method of working. Whenever I play live using a DAW I try to slim the channels down as much as possible in order to avoid such issues.
    Yeah. That shouldnt be happening.

Reaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Michprich View Post
    Reaper!
    Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    live
    This
    SC - WS

Tech Convert

I can recommend Renoise. As a tracker, it has another sequencer concept than the mentioned DAWs (for me: more intuitive and faster).
    It is completly usable (unlimited MIDI, VST, Audio...) in the free version and if you need some advanced features like audio rendering/Asio it costs about 80 Eur.
    Latest EP "Auf Los" on Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Solid View Post
    One thing no other DAW can do besides FL Studio is great visualization for the track you made

With the ZGameEditor Visualizer Plugin provided in FL Studio you can even do live performances!!

However, I am using Ableton Live now but used FL Studio for more than 10 years before.
    I am still using FL Studio within Ableton as a plugin from time to time though.
    Works perfectly and it is a smooth integration!

Here it is explained how this works:

pretty good. this is a first time i watch something like this

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast