Help: New DJ: Mixtrack, Djay Pro, Electrovoice
    Tech Convert

Default Help: New DJ: Mixtrack, Djay Pro, Electrovoice

I've been DJing at home for friends for about a year. Running into a wall with certain questions. Any help appreciated

Equipment:
    Software: Djay pro for Mac (leaning entirely on Spotify for tracks)
    Controller: Numark Mixtrack Quad
    Speakers: (1) 12' EV Sub, (2) 12' EV PAs

Hardware Questions:
    What is the correct way to wire these?

1a. Originally, I was connecting my speakers to the controller with a RCA splitter > Aux cord/XLR cord - in to the Sub, out to the PA, out to the other PA. I was getting subtle static this way and attributed it to the Aux cord.

1b. So today I bought 2 RCA to XLR cords and ran them out of the numark and both in to the EV subs inputs, then out to PA, and over to other PA. still the light static noise.

2. I have demod nicer controllers. When scratching tracks, the nicer ($1000+) controllers sound much better. Could it be that my controller just WONT play studio quality sound?

Software Questions:

1. To try and solve the static question above, I went into Djay Pro's preferences and raised the sound quality from mobile (~160) to "high quality" (~360). Still getting the static.

2. When moving my cross fader from left to right, the headphone queuing automatically switches from the right (deck 2 or 4) to the left (deck 1 AND 3). I would prefer to only be able to manually select the headphones I'm hearing in queue.

I'll start here. Any help appreciated
    Last edited by DJ CRAY; 01-29-2017 at 10:39 PM.

rca's are unbalanced so if you run rca to any connector to the speaker, you will get a hum. you need another mixer with 1/4" or xlr out. all controllers are like this unless the controller has an xlr out.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    rca's are unbalanced so if you run rca to any connector to the speaker, you will get a hum. you need another mixer with 1/4" or xlr out. all controllers are like this unless the controller has an xlr out.
    Thanks. So essentially a Mixtrack Quad is not capable of clear sound?

Is there an add-on or anything that could be used in between the controller and speakers to fix? As much as I'd love to, not sure the spouse would like me buying the 1500 deck I really want...
    Last edited by DJ CRAY; 01-30-2017 at 07:53 AM.

As for the hardware static the best thing you could do is get a couple passive DI's. DI's will take the unbalanced signal and turn it into a balanced signal for better interference rejection. Just make sure you get passive ones as they won't need a 9v battery. If you end up getting a dedicated mixer for your PA that has phantom power you could get DI's that run off of that.

Do a lookup on the Behringer DI400P. Those are pretty decent and are pretty damn cheap. I recomend them to anyone looking for cheap DI's. You would basically run RCA to 1/4" into the DI's and then XLR to your PA.

For future reference, with USB powered controllers they tend put out little volume and have noise. Controllers that have a dedicated power supply tend to be built a bit better.

Tech Convert

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J...wqL&ref=plSrch

Would this work to clean up the sound?

I think I could run RCA to mixer and then XLR from mixer to speakers?

Thanks

I will say "it may work." You could run RCA from your controller to the Xenyx 2 track in, then TRS 1/4" from the Xenyx to your PA. Just be ready to have that additional layer in your setup. Also I would suggest getting a good bag or case for the Xenyx and it's power brick. Last thing you want is to show up to a gig with a busted power supply.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    I will say "it may work." You could run RCA from your controller to the Xenyx 2 track in, then TRS 1/4" from the Xenyx to your PA. Just be ready to have that additional layer in your setup. Also I would suggest getting a good bag or case for the Xenyx and it's power brick. Last thing you want is to show up to a gig with a busted power supply.
    Thanks. Maybe this is naive, but the problem I see here would be my sub (where I'm wiring into) only has XLR inputs (electrovoice 12, I wire from there to the PAs w XLR)

Ultimately, you'd still say the direct box is a better solution?

I think either way will be fine. DIs are good because they have the ground lift switch. So if you plug them in and hear noise you hit the switch and most times it goes away. DIs would be good if you ever plug into another persons PA.

With the Xenyx when using the RCA I think they have some sort of ground lift circuit or something. I never used the RCA ins or outs on an analog board before so that's why I said "it may work" in reducing line noise. Otherwise you could do RCA into 1/4" stereo inputs and get EQ controls.

If you do the route of getting the Xenyx you can get TRS 1/4" to XLR cables. They are both balanced signals using 3 terminals so it is toally possible to use the Xenyx with your current PA.

Tech Convert

Update:

I went with the Behringer mixer and it cleaned up the sound!

Also I found the solution for djay automatically switching the headphones: click on the headphone icon on the top left and uncheck "auto queue"

Thanks all