Question on Freestyle mixing technique

Default Question on Freestyle mixing technique

Just wanted to know the process the freestyle DJ's follow to go about with their set.

Without programming the tracklist, During mixing how do you figure out which track to play next on the fly.
    Isn't that a critical thing to do on the fly when a simple misjudgment can cause the mix to sound like a train wreck (that too in front of a crowd).

A programmed set goes from Track A to Track B and then to Track C and keeps transitioning.
    But a freestyle set (based on crowd reading) could go directly from Track A to Track C to even Track X.

My question is:
    How does one go about with the selection of tracks on the fly (during a set)

and still get it right.

Using JUDGEMENT.

Or, using HEADPHONES!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

If you know your tracks well, you know what works together. You essentially do the same thing when preplanning a tracklist, just in a much shorter time.

Frankly, it should be intuition. You should just know what feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by oneadnonlyzedd View Post
    My question is:
    How does one go about with the selection of tracks on the fly (during a set)

and still get it right.
    There is not a secret trick that I know of. It comes with knowing your music well and lots of experience behind the decks.

You will have some bad mixes. You will clear the dance floor a time or two. It happens. Learning what tracks don't go together is just as important as knowing which do go together. Just part of learning. Best of luck.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

Tech Convert

Ive been an open format dj for the last 10 years.. The only intuition I have is knowing my library (as endless as it is) and also, knowing what my crowd wants. I created the energy, so I should know where I want to take it. Djing a full night is peaks and valleys, high energy and low energy. Its up to you to really READ what the crowd wants and deliver.

Put yourself as the bar patron and think... "this song would be perfect next".. and build off that

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You could ask the same question in reverse.

How does one pre-programs his / her set know how the crowd will react if track A>B>C is played in that order ? ... thats the bigger question IMHO.

Know your tracks, and learn how to read the movements of people. It's something that only playing out in a wide variety of venues over time can help with. That and knowing your tracks inside out.

Spend a lot of time planning out sets at home. Record them too, so that you can understand how to improve each week.

Making a weekly mix for yourself is a good start. You can probably make a mix every day easily, but focusing on just one will let you really undersatnd what makes a good set for you.

Keep doing that for a while and you'll be able to do a basic DJ set on the fly while half awake.